Thin-layer agar for detection of resistance to rifampicin, ofloxacin and kanamycin in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates
AffiliationInstitute of Tropical Medicine, Mycobacteriology Unit, Antwerp, Belgium; Laboratory of Mycobacteriology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil; Médecins Sans Frontières, Paris, France
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: In low-income countries there is a great need for economical methods for testing the susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to antibiotics. OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the thin-layer agar (TLA) for rapid detection of resistance to rifampicin (RMP), ofloxacin (OFX) and kanamycin (KM) in M. tuberculosis clinical isolates and to determine the sensitivity, specificity and time to positivity compared to the gold standard method. METHODS: One hundred and forty-seven clinical isolates of M. tuberculosis were studied. For the TLA method, a quadrant Petri plate containing 7H11 agar with RMP, OFX and KM was used. Results were compared to the Bactec MGIT960 for RMP and the proportion method for OFX and KM. RESULTS: The sensitivity and specificity for RMP and OFX were 100% and for KM they were 100% and 98.7%, respectively. The use of a TLA quadrant plate enables the rapid detection of resistance to the three anti-tuberculosis drugs RMP, OFX and KM in a median of 10 days. CONCLUSION: TLA was an accurate method for the detection of resistance in the three drugs studied. This faster method is simple to perform, providing an alternative method when more sophisticated techniques are not available in low-resource settings.
- Rapid detection of rifampicin and isoniazid resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis by the direct thin-layer agar method.
- Authors: Robledo J, Mejia GI, Paniagua L, Martin A, Guzmán A
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- The thin-layer agar method for direct phenotypic detection of multi- and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Ardizzoni E, Mulders W, Kotrikadze T, Aspindzelashvili R, Goginashvili L, Pangtey H, Varaine F, Bastard M, Rigouts L, de Jong BC
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Evaluation of Thin Layer Agar 7H11 for Direct Susceptibility Testing of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Complex against Second Line Anti Tuberculosis Drugs on Smear Positive Specimens.
- Authors: Hussain A, Zaman G, Satti L, Ikram A, Gardezi AH, Khadim MT
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Evaluation of the nitrate reductase assay for rapid detection of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Rosales S, Pineda-García L, Andino N, Almendarez N, Membreño H, Hoffner SE
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Rapid detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis resistance to second-line drugs by use of the manual mycobacterium growth indicator tube system.
- Authors: Martin A, von Groll A, Fissette K, Palomino JC, Varaine F, Portaels F
- Issue date: 2008 Dec