Effect of HIV-1 infection on T-Cell-based and skin test detection of tuberculosis infection
AuthorsRangaka, M X
Wilkinson, K A
Van Cutsem, G
Meintjes, G A
Connell, T G
Wilkinson, R J
AffiliationInstitute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa; Wellcome Trust Center for Research in Clinical Tropical Medicine and Department of Infectious Diseases Epidemiology, Wright Fleming Institute, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom; Medicins sans Frontie`res South Africa, Khayelitsha Site B Community Health Clinic, Khayelitsha Township, South Africa; School of Public Health, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa; Division of Pharmacology, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa; Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRATIONALE: Two forms of the IFN-gamma release assay (IFNGRA) to detect tuberculosis infection are available, but neither has been evaluated in comparable HIV-infected and uninfected persons in a high tuberculosis incidence environment. OBJECTIVE: To compare the ability of the T-SPOT.TB (Oxford Immunotec, Abingdon, UK), QuantiFERON-TB Gold (Cellestis, Melbourne, Australia), and Mantoux tests to identify latent tuberculosis in HIV-infected and uninfected persons. METHODS: A cross-sectional study of 160 healthy adults without active tuberculosis attending a voluntary counseling and testing center for HIV infection in Khayelitsha, a deprived urban South African community with an HIV antenatal seroprevalence of 33% and a tuberculosis incidence of 1,612 per 100,000. MEASUREMENTS AND MAIN RESULTS: One hundred and sixty (74 HIV(+) and 86 HIV(-)) persons were enrolled. A lower proportion of Mantoux results was positive in HIV-infected subjects compared with HIV-uninfected subjects (p < 0.01). By contrast, the proportion of positive IFNGRAs was not significantly different in HIV-infected persons for the T-SPOT.TB test (52 vs. 59%; p = 0.41) or the QuantiFERON-TB Gold test (43 and 46%; p = 0.89). Fair agreement between the Mantoux test (5- and 10-mm cutoffs) and the IFNGRA was seen in HIV-infected people (kappa = 0.52-0.6). By contrast, poor agreement between the Mantoux and QuantiFERON-TB Gold tests was observed in the HIV-uninfected group (kappa = 0.07-0.30, depending on the Mantoux cutoff). The pattern was similar for T-SPOT.TB (kappa = 0.18-0.24). Interpretation: IFNGRA sensitivity appears relatively unimpaired by moderately advanced HIV infection. However, agreement between the tests and with the Mantoux test varied from poor to fair. This highlights the need for prospective studies to determine which test may predict the subsequent risk of tuberculosis.
- Comparing QuantiFERON-tuberculosis gold, T-SPOT tuberculosis and tuberculin skin test in HIV-infected individuals from a low prevalence tuberculosis country.
- Authors: Stephan C, Wolf T, Goetsch U, Bellinger O, Nisius G, Oremek G, Rakus Z, Gottschalk R, Stark S, Brodt HR, Staszewski S
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 30
- Optimizing the detection of recent tuberculosis infection in children in a high tuberculosis-HIV burden setting.
- Authors: Mandalakas AM, Kirchner HL, Walzl G, Gie RP, Schaaf HS, Cotton MF, Grewal HM, Hesseling AC
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 1
- Poor agreement between interferon-gamma release assays and the tuberculin skin test among HIV-infected individuals in the country of Georgia.
- Authors: Chkhartishvili N, Kempker RR, Dvali N, Abashidze L, Sharavdze L, Gabunia P, Blumberg HM, Del Rio C, Tsertsvadze T
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 1
- Latent Tuberculosis Infection Screening and 2-Year Outcome in Antiretroviral-Naive HIV-Infected Patients in a Low-Prevalence Country.
- Authors: Bourgarit A, Baron G, Breton G, Tattevin P, Katlama C, Allavena C, Campa P, Ravaud P, Lortholary O, Carcelain G, IGRAVIH Study Group.
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Performance of tests for latent tuberculosis in different groups of immunocompromised patients.
- Authors: Richeldi L, Losi M, D'Amico R, Luppi M, Ferrari A, Mussini C, Codeluppi M, Cocchi S, Prati F, Paci V, Meacci M, Meccugni B, Rumpianesi F, Roversi P, Cerri S, Luppi F, Ferrara G, Latorre I, Gerunda GE, Torelli G, Esposito R, Fabbri LM
- Issue date: 2009 Jul