Antimicrobial susceptibility of Neisseria gonorrheae strains in three regions of Armenia
AffiliationPrincess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada; Medecins sans frontieres, Geneva, Switzerland; Medical-Scientific Center for Dermatology and STI, Yerevan, Armenia; Medecins sans frontieres, Brussels, Belgium; Epicentre, Paris, France
MetadataShow full item record
JournalSexually Transmitted Diseases
AbstractOBJECTIVE: There are no data available on gonococcal susceptibility in the Caucasus region. We aimed to determine in vitro antimicrobial susceptibility of Neisseria gonorrheae in Armenia in order to update the national treatment protocol. METHODS: Isolates from men with urethral discharge presenting at 3 STI clinics in 3 different sites of Armenia were used to determine susceptibility of N. gonorrheae strains for 11 antimicrobials using the disc diffusion technique. RESULTS: Among the 101 isolates tested the susceptibility rate for penicillin, doxycycline, and kanamycin were 37.6, 25.7, and 80.2%, respectively. Sensitivity to quinolones was 95% for both ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin. All strains were susceptible to third-generation cephalosporins and to spectinomycin. Only 11% of strains were susceptible to all antibiotics tested. CONCLUSION: Third-generation cephalosporines and spectinomycin are suitable first-line regimens. Quinolones are not advisable as first-line treatment given current borderline susceptibility, known tendency for rapid resistance development in this class, and frequent over-the-counter use of this antibiotic in Armenia.
- Susceptibility pattern of Neisseria gonorrhoeae to antimicrobial agents in Dar es Salaam.
- Authors: Mbwana J, Mhalu F, Mwakagile D, Masesa J, Moshiro C, Sandstrom E
- Issue date: 1999 Jun
- Antimicrobial susceptibility profile of resistance phenotypes of Neisseria gonorrheae in India.
- Authors: Bala M, Jain RK, Ray K
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Antimicrobial susceptibility among Neisseria gonorrhoeae in New Zealand in 2002.
- Authors: Heffernan H, Brokenshire M, Woodhouse R, MacCarthy A, Blackmore T
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 2
- [Antimicrobial resistance in Neisseria gonorrheae in North-East Romania].
- Authors: Bădescu AC, Petrescu Z, Enache A, Buiuc D
- Issue date: 2007 Apr-Jun
- Gonococcal resistance: evolving from penicillin, tetracycline to the quinolones in South Africa -- implications for treatment guidelines.
- Authors: De Jongh M, Dangor Y, Adam A, Hoosen AA
- Issue date: 2007 Oct