Thin layer agar compared to BACTEC MGIT 960 for early detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis
AffiliationInstitute of Tropical Medicine, Mycobacteriology Unit, Antwerp, Belgium; Médecins Sans Frontières, Paris, France
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe compared the sensitivity and time to detection of growth of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the thin layer agar (TLA) compared to BACTEC MGIT960. The average time for growth of M. tuberculosis in TLA and BACTEC MGIT960 was 10.6 and 9.6 days, respectively. The sensitivity of detection of M. tuberculosis was 97.3% on TLA and 97% on BACTEC MGIT960 for smear positive samples. TLA showed comparable results to BACTEC MGIT960 and could be an alternative method for low-income countries.
- Evaluation of thin-layer agar 7H11 for the isolation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex.
- Authors: Satti L, Ikram A, Abbasi S, Malik N, Mirza IA, Martin A
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Thin-layer agar for detection of resistance to rifampicin, ofloxacin and kanamycin in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates.
- Authors: Martin A, Paasch F, Von Groll A, Fissette K, Almeida P, Varaine F, Portaels F, Palomino JC
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Comparison of the BACTEC MGIT 960 with Löwenstein-Jensen medium for recovery of mycobacteria from clinical specimens.
- Authors: Chien HP, Yu MC, Wu MH, Lin TP, Luh KT
- Issue date: 2000 Sep
- Time to detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in BACTEC systems as a viable alternative to colony counting.
- Authors: Pheiffer C, Carroll NM, Beyers N, Donald P, Duncan K, Uys P, van Helden P
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Evaluation of a rapid culture method for tuberculosis diagnosis: a Latin American multi-center study.
- Authors: Robledo JA, Mejía GI, Morcillo N, Chacón L, Camacho M, Luna J, Zurita J, Bodon A, Velasco M, Palomino JC, Martin A, Portaels F
- Issue date: 2006 Jun