Maternal common mental disorder and infant growth--a cross-sectional study from Malawi
AffiliationDepartment of Community Health, College of Medicine, Blantyre, Malawi; Zomba Mental Hospital, Zomba, Malawi; Médecins Sans Frontières, Thyolo, Malawi; Population Health Service Executive, Dr Stevens Hospital, Dublin, Ireland; Department of Psychiatry, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
JournalMaternal & Child Nutrition
AbstractThe objective of the study was to investigate the association between maternal common mental disorder (CMD) and infant growth in rural Malawi. A cross-sectional study was conducted at a district hospital child health clinic. Participants were consecutive infants due for measles vaccination, and their mothers. Mean infant weight-for-age and length-for-age z-scores were compared between infants of mothers with and without CMD as measured using the self-reporting questionnaire (SRQ). Of 519 eligible infants/mothers, 501 were included in the analysis. Median infant age was 9.9 months. 29.9% of mothers scored 8 or above on the SRQ indicating CMD. Mean length-for-age z-score for infants of mothers with CMD (-1.50 SD 1.24) was significantly lower than for infants of mothers without CMD (-1.11 SD 1.12) Student's t-test: P = 0.001. This association was confirmed in multivariate analysis. Mean weight-for-age z-score for infants of mothers with CMD (-1.77 SD 1.16) was lower than for infants of mothers without CMD (-1.59 SD 1.09) but this difference was not significant on univariate (Student's t-test: P = 0.097) or multivariate analysis. The study demonstrates an association between maternal CMD and infant growth impairment in rural sub-Saharan Africa.
DescriptionTo access this article, click on "Additional Links".
- Common mental disorder and associated factors amongst women with young infants in rural Malawi.
- Authors: Stewart RC, Bunn J, Vokhiwa M, Umar E, Kauye F, Fitzgerald M, Tomenson B, Rahman A, Creed F
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Maternal vitamin A deficiency and child growth failure during human immunodeficiency virus infection.
- Authors: Semba RD, Miotti P, Chiphangwi JD, Henderson R, Dallabetta G, Yang LP, Hoover D
- Issue date: 1997 Mar 1
- The effect of maternal common mental disorders on infant undernutrition in Butajira, Ethiopia: the P-MaMiE study.
- Authors: Medhin G, Hanlon C, Dewey M, Alem A, Tesfaye F, Lakew Z, Worku B, Aray M, Abdulahi A, Tomlinson M, Hughes M, Patel V, Prince M
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 30
- Common mental disorders among women, social circumstances and toddler growth in rural Vietnam: a population-based prospective study.
- Authors: Fisher J, Tran T, Nguyen TT, Nguyen H, Tran TD
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Maternal common mental disorders and infant development in Ethiopia: the P-MaMiE Birth Cohort.
- Authors: Servili C, Medhin G, Hanlon C, Tomlinson M, Worku B, Baheretibeb Y, Dewey M, Alem A, Prince M
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 12