AffiliationBurnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Centre for Population Health, Melbourne, Australia; Médecins Sans Frontières, Cape Town, South Africa
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOf the estimated half a million people who develop multidrug resistant (MDR) tuberculosis each year, less than 7% are diagnosed and only 1 in 5 of these have access to eff ective treatment.1 To control this epidemic, dramatically increased efforts are required to scale up case detection and treatment provision. In The Lancet, Mercedes Becerra and colleagues2 report the yield of additional MDR tuberculosis diagnoses that are found by screening household contacts of index cases in Lima, Peru. This study—the largest of its kind to date—found that more than 2% of 4503 household contacts had active tuberculosis at the time the index case was diagnosed. Incident tuberculosis was also found at a rate of 1624 cases per 100 000 person-years over 4 years follow-up. These results support recommendations for active screening of household contacts of people with MDR tuberculosis,3 and provide valuable lessons for other programmes striving to improve case detection and to reduce community transmission of MDR tuberculosis.
- Tuberculosis burden in households of patients with multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Becerra MC, Appleton SC, Franke MF, Chalco K, Arteaga F, Bayona J, Murray M, Atwood SS, Mitnick CD
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 8
- Transmissibility and potential for disease progression of drug resistant <i>Mycobacterium tuberculosis</i>: prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Becerra MC, Huang CC, Lecca L, Bayona J, Contreras C, Calderon R, Yataco R, Galea J, Zhang Z, Atwood S, Cohen T, Mitnick CD, Farmer P, Murray M
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 24
- Tuberculosis among household contacts of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis patients in Delhi, India.
- Authors: Singla N, Singla R, Jain G, Habib L, Behera D
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- [Tuberculosis--epidemiology, diagnostics and therapy].
- Authors: Gillissen A
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 31
- Programmatic management of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis--15 years later.
- Authors: Nardell EA
- Issue date: 2011 Oct