Performance of LED-Based Fluorescence Microscopy to Diagnose Tuberculosis in a Peripheral Health Centre in Nairobi.
AffiliationEpicentre, France; Centre for Respiratory Diseases Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kenya; Médecins Sans Frontières, France; UNICEF/UNDP/World Bank/WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, World Health Organization, Switzerland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSputum microscopy is the only tuberculosis (TB) diagnostic available at peripheral levels of care in resource limited countries. Its sensitivity is low, particularly in high HIV prevalence settings. Fluorescence microscopy (FM) can improve performance of microscopy and with the new light emitting diode (LED) technologies could be appropriate for peripheral settings. The study aimed to compare the performance of LED-FM versus Ziehl-Neelsen (ZN) microscopy and to assess feasibility of LED-FM at a low level of care in a high HIV prevalence country.
- Evaluation of combined LED-fluorescence microscopy and bleach sedimentation for diagnosis of tuberculosis at peripheral health service level.
- Authors: Bonnet M, Gagnidze L, Guerin PJ, Bonte L, Ramsay A, Githui W, Varaine F
- Issue date: 2011
- Operational implementation of LED fluorescence microscopy in screening tuberculosis suspects in an urban HIV clinic in Uganda.
- Authors: Albert H, Nakiyingi L, Sempa J, Mbabazi O, Mukkada S, Nyesiga B, Perkins MD, Manabe YC
- Issue date: 2013
- LED fluorescence microscopy for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis: a multi-country cross-sectional evaluation.
- Authors: Cuevas LE, Al-Sonboli N, Lawson L, Yassin MA, Arbide I, Al-Aghbari N, Sherchand JB, Al-Absi A, Emenyonu EN, Merid Y, Okobi MI, Onuoha JO, Aschalew M, Aseffa A, Harper G, de Cuevas RM, Theobald SJ, Nathanson CM, Joly J, Faragher B, Squire SB, Ramsay A
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- [Performance of LED fluorescence microscopy for the detection of acid-fast bacilli from respiratory samples in peripheral laboratories in Argentina].
- Authors: Imaz M, Allassia S, Aranibar M, Gunia A, Poggi S, Togneri A, Wolff L, Of Fluorescence GOI
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 1
- Performance of light-emitting diode fluorescence microscope for diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Authors: Bhalla M, Sidiq Z, Sharma PP, Singhal R, Myneedu VP, Sarin R
- Issue date: 2013 Sep