Rates and Causes of Death in Chiradzulu District, Malawi, 2008: A Key Informant Study
AffiliationFaculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK; Médecins Sans Frontières, Blantyre, Malawi; Faculty of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn September 2008, we measured all-cause mortality in Chiradzulu District, Malawi (population 291 000) over a 60-day retrospective period, using capture-recapture analysis of three lists of deaths provided by (i) key community informants, (ii) graveyard officials and (iii) health system sources. Estimated crude and under-5-year mortality rates were 18.6 (95% CI 13.9-24.5) and 30.6 (95% CI 17.5-59.9) deaths per 1000 person-years. We also classified causes of death through verbal autopsy interviews on 50 deaths over the previous 40 days. Half of deaths were attributable to infection, and half of deaths among children aged under 5 were attributable to neonatal causes. HIV/AIDS was the leading cause of death (16.6%), with a cause-attributable mortality rate of 1.8 (0.4-3.6) deaths per 1000 person-years.
- Chronic diseases now a leading cause of death in rural India--mortality data from the Andhra Pradesh Rural Health Initiative.
- Authors: Joshi R, Cardona M, Iyengar S, Sukumar A, Raju CR, Raju KR, Raju K, Reddy KS, Lopez A, Neal B
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Causes and circumstances of death in a district hospital in northern Cameroon, 1993-2009.
- Authors: Einterz EM, Bates M
- Issue date: 2011
- Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030.
- Authors: Mathers CD, Loncar D
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Trends of mortality and causes of death among HIV-infected patients in Taiwan, 1984-2005.
- Authors: Yang CH, Huang YF, Hsiao CF, Yeh YL, Liou HR, Hung CC, Yang SY
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Analysis of hospital records in four African countries, 1975-1990, with emphasis on infectious diseases.
- Authors: Petit PL, van Ginneken JK
- Issue date: 1995 Aug