Modelling the first dose of measles vaccination: the role of maternal immunity, demographic factors, and delivery systems.
AffiliationDepartment of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University, NJ 0854, USA. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEpidemiology and Infection
AbstractMeasles vaccine efficacy is higher at 12 months than 9 months because of maternal immunity, but delaying vaccination exposes the children most vulnerable to measles mortality to infection. We explored how this trade-off changes as a function of regionally varying epidemiological drivers, e.g. demography, transmission seasonality, and vaccination coverage. High birth rates and low coverage both favour early vaccination, and initiating vaccination at 9-11 months, then switching to 12-14 months can reduce case numbers. Overall however, increasing the age-window of vaccination decreases case numbers relative to vaccinating within a narrow age-window (e.g. 9-11 months). The width of the age-window that minimizes mortality varies as a function of birth rate, vaccination coverage and patterns of access to care. Our results suggest that locally age-targeted strategies, at both national and sub-national scales, tuned to local variation in birth rate, seasonality, and access to care may substantially decrease case numbers and fatalities for routine vaccination.
PublisherCambridge University Press
- Measles vaccination in the presence or absence of maternal measles antibody: impact on child survival.
- Authors: Aaby P, Martins CL, Garly ML, Andersen A, Fisker AB, Claesson MH, Ravn H, Rodrigues A, Whittle HC, Benn CS
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 15
- Is early measles vaccination better than later measles vaccination?
- Authors: Aaby P, Martins CL, Ravn H, Rodrigues A, Whittle HC, Benn CS
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Passive transmission and persistence of naturally acquired or vaccine-induced maternal antibodies against measles in newborns.
- Authors: Leuridan E, Van Damme P
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 21
- Two-dose measles vaccination schedules.
- Authors: Rosenthal SR, Clements CJ
- Issue date: 1993
- Appropriate age for measles vaccination in the United States.
- Authors: Orenstein WA, Markowitz L, Preblud SR, Hinman AR, Tomasi A, Bart KJ
- Issue date: 1986