Tuberculosis ethambutol resistance: concordance between phenotypic and genotypic test results
AffiliationMolecular Mycobacteriology, Research Center Borstel, Borstel, Germany; Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Australia; Me´decins Sans Frontie`res, Uzbekistan; Ministry of Health, Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan; National Reference Center for Mycobacteria, Research Center Borstel, Borstel, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractembB306 mutations are potential markers for detecting ethambutol resistance in clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates. However, more recently, embB306 mutations have been found in ethambutol susceptible isolates and an association with broad drug resistance rather than ethambutol resistance has been reported. To further investigate this question, we analyzed the association between embB306 mutations and phenotypic ethambutol resistance among 197 isolates from a drug resistance survey performed in Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan. 39 strains had an embB306 mutation, out of which seven were ethambutol susceptible, thus, displaying discrepant test results. After re-analysis, the seven isolates were tested ethambutol resistant. All of these strains had an increased ethambutol MIC, however, three strains showed no or weak growth on the critical concentration of 2 microg/ml on Löwenstein-Jensen. In three strains we confirmed the presence of heteroresistant mixed populations which might influence conventional ethambutol testing. Final concordance between molecular and phenotypic EMB testing was high with a sensitivity of 78% and a specificity of 100%. Our results confirm that embB306 mutations are useful markers for predicting ethambutol resistance. Discrepancies between molecular and phenotypic ethambutol resistance test results are most likely caused by problems with conventional susceptibility testing.
- Frequency of embB codon 306 mutations in ethambutol-susceptible and -resistant clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates in Kuwait.
- Authors: Ahmad S, Jaber AA, Mokaddas E
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Genetic characterisation of the ethambutol resistance-determining region in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: prevalence and significance of embB306 mutations.
- Authors: Perdigão J, Macedo R, Ribeiro A, Brum L, Portugal I
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Role of embCAB gene mutations in ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from India.
- Authors: Jadaun GP, Das R, Upadhyay P, Chauhan DS, Sharma VD, Katoch VM
- Issue date: 2009 May
- embB306 mutations as molecular indicators to predict ethambutol susceptibility in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Authors: Sirgel FA, Warren RM, Streicher EM, Victor TC, van Helden PD, Böttger EC
- Issue date: 2012
- Characteristics of embB mutations in multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates in Henan, China.
- Authors: Shi D, Li L, Zhao Y, Jia Q, Li H, Coulter C, Jin Q, Zhu G
- Issue date: 2011 Oct