Operational challenges in managing Isoniazid Preventive Therapy in child contacts: A high-burden setting perspective.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Public Health
AbstractABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: The study was conducted at a high TB-HIV burden primary health community clinic in Cape Town, South Africa. We describe the management of children under five years of age in household contact with a smear and/or culture-positive adult TB case. METHODS: This study was a record review of routinely-collected programme data. RESULTS: A total of 1094 adult TB case folders were reviewed. From all identified contacts, 149 children should have received IPT based on local guidelines; in only 2/149 IPT was initiated. Management of child contacts of sputum smear and/or culture-positive compared to sputum-negative TB patients were similar. CONCLUSIONS: IPT delivery to children remains an operational challenge, especially in high TB-HIV burden communities. A tool to improve IPT management and targeting sputum smear and/or culture-positive TB child contacts may overcome some of these challenges and should be developed and piloted in such settings.
- Recording isoniazid preventive therapy delivery to children: operational challenges.
- Authors: Van Wyk SS, Hamade H, Hesseling AC, Beyers N, Enarson DA, Mandalakas AM
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Tuberculosis contact screening and isoniazid preventive therapy in a South Indian district: operational issues for programmatic consideration.
- Authors: Pothukuchi M, Nagaraja SB, Kelamane S, Satyanarayana S, Shashidhar, Babu S, Dewan P, Wares F
- Issue date: 2011
- Correlates of isoniazid preventive therapy failure in child household contacts with infectious tuberculosis in high burden settings in Nairobi, Kenya - a cohort study.
- Authors: Okwara FN, Oyore JP, Were FN, Gwer S
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 16
- Does an isoniazid prophylaxis register improve tuberculosis contact management in South African children?
- Authors: van Soelen N, du Preez K, van Wyk SS, Mandalakas AM, Enarson DA, Reid AJ, Hesseling AC
- Issue date: 2013
- Challenges to delivery of isoniazid preventive therapy in a cohort of children exposed to tuberculosis in Timor-Leste.
- Authors: Hall C, Sukijthamapan P, dos Santos R, Nourse C, Murphy D, Gibbons M, Francis JR
- Issue date: 2015 Jun