Access to Health Care for All? User Fees Plus a Health Equity Fund in Sotnikum, Cambodia.
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalHealth Policy and Planning
AbstractUser fees in health services are a source of much debate because of their potential risk of negative effects on access to health care for the poor. A Health Equity Fund that identifies the poor and pays on their behalf may be an alternative to generally ineffective fee exemption policies. This paper presents the experience of such a Health Equity Fund, managed by a local non-governmental organization, in Sotnikum, Cambodia. It describes the results of the first 2 years of operations, investigates the constraints to equitable access to the district hospital and the effects of the Health Equity Fund on these constraints. The Health Equity Fund supported 16% of hospitalized patients. We found four major constraints to access: financial, geographical, informational and intra-household. The results of the study show that the Health Equity Fund effectively improves financial access for the poor, but that the poor continue to face many constraints for timely access. The study also found that the Health Equity Fund as set up in Sotnikum was very cost-effective, with minimal leakage to non-poor. Health Equity Funds managed by a local non-governmental organization seem to constitute a promising channel for donors who want to invest in poverty reduction. However, further research and experimentation are recommended in different contexts and with different set-ups.
PublisherPublished by Oxford University Press
DescriptionTo access this article, click on "Additional Links"
- Improving access for the poorest to public sector health services: insights from Kirivong Operational Health District in Cambodia.
- Authors: Jacobs B, Price N
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Improving access to hospital care for the poor: comparative analysis of four health equity funds in Cambodia.
- Authors: Noirhomme M, Meessen B, Griffiths F, Ir P, Jacobs B, Thor R, Criel B, Van Damme W
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- To retain or remove user fees?: reflections on the current debate in low- and middle-income countries.
- Authors: James CD, Hanson K, McPake B, Balabanova D, Gwatkin D, Hopwood I, Kirunga C, Knippenberg R, Meessen B, Morris SS, Preker A, Souteyrand Y, Tibouti A, Villeneuve P, Xu K
- Issue date: 2006
- A sustainability assessment of a health equity fund initiative in Cambodia.
- Authors: Jacobs B, Price N, Sam SO
- Issue date: 2007 Jul-Sep
- Analysis of agency relationships in the design and implementation process of the equity fund in Madagascar.
- Authors: Honda A
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 4