Accessibility of diagnostic and treatment centres for visceral leishmaniasis in Gedaref State, northern Sudan.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To evaluate the accessibility of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) treatment. METHOD: Community-based study using in-depth qualitative interviews and focus group discussions with key informants, as well as quantitative questionnaires with 448 randomly selected heads of households in nine representative villages in three geographical sub-regions. RESULTS: Despite the high incidence of the disease, most people in Gedaref State know little about VL, and help at a treatment centre is usually sought only after traditional remedies and basic allopathic drugs have failed. Factors barring access to treatment are: lack of money for treatment and transport, impassability of roads, work priorities, severe cultural restrictions of women's decision-making power and distance to the next health center. CONCLUSIONS: To provide more VL patients with access to treatment in this highly endemic area, diagnostic and treatment services should be decentralized. Health education would be a useful tool to rationalise people's health-seeking behaviour.
- The economic impact of visceral leishmaniasis on households in Bangladesh.
- Authors: Anoopa Sharma D, Bern C, Varghese B, Chowdhury R, Haque R, Ali M, Amann J, Ahluwalia IB, Wagatsuma Y, Breiman RF, Maguire JH, McFarland DA
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Factors affecting home delivery in rural Tanzania.
- Authors: Mrisho M, Schellenberg JA, Mushi AK, Obrist B, Mshinda H, Tanner M, Schellenberg D
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Risk mapping of visceral leishmaniasis: the role of local variation in rainfall and altitude on the presence and incidence of kala-azar in eastern Sudan.
- Authors: Elnaiem DE, Schorscher J, Bendall A, Obsomer V, Osman ME, Mekkawi AM, Connor SJ, Ashford RW, Thomson MC
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Burden of visceral leishmaniasis in villages of eastern Gedaref State, Sudan: an exhaustive cross-sectional survey.
- Authors: Mueller YK, Nackers F, Ahmed KA, Boelaert M, Djoumessi JC, Eltigani R, Gorashi HA, Hammam O, Ritmeijer K, Salih N, Worku D, Etard JF, Chappuis F
- Issue date: 2012
- Factors influencing health care-seeking behaviours among Mayan women in Guatemala.
- Authors: Schooley J, Mundt C, Wagner P, Fullerton J, O'Donnell M
- Issue date: 2009 Aug