Are Rapid Population Estimates Accurate? A Field Trial of Two Different Assessment Methods.
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEmergencies resulting in large-scale displacement often lead to populations resettling in areas where basic health services and sanitation are unavailable. To plan relief-related activities quickly, rapid population size estimates are needed. The currently recommended Quadrat method estimates total population by extrapolating the average population size living in square blocks of known area to the total site surface. An alternative approach, the T-Square, provides a population estimate based on analysis of the spatial distribution of housing units taken throughout a site. We field tested both methods and validated the results against a census in Esturro Bairro, Beira, Mozambique. Compared to the census (population: 9,479), the T-Square yielded a better population estimate (9,523) than the Quadrat method (7,681; 95% confidence interval: 6,160-9,201), but was more difficult for field survey teams to implement. Although applicable only to similar sites, several general conclusions can be drawn for emergency planning.
PublisherPublished by Wiley-Blackwell
- Rapid assessment of health needs in mass emergencies: review of current concepts and methods.
- Authors: Guha-Sapir D
- Issue date: 1991
- Cutaneous disorders in the "bairro Inhamudima" of Beira, Mozambique.
- Authors: Chhaganlal K, van Jaarsveld I, Hoffmann K, Ramos MI, Krober M, de Hoop D
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Extended follow-up and spatial analysis of the American Cancer Society study linking particulate air pollution and mortality.
- Authors: Krewski D, Jerrett M, Burnett RT, Ma R, Hughes E, Shi Y, Turner MC, Pope CA 3rd, Thurston G, Calle EE, Thun MJ, Beckerman B, DeLuca P, Finkelstein N, Ito K, Moore DK, Newbold KB, Ramsay T, Ross Z, Shin H, Tempalski B
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Health status among internally displaced persons in Louisiana and Mississippi travel trailer parks.
- Authors: Larrance R, Anastario M, Lawry L
- Issue date: 2007 May
- A modified cluster-sampling method for post-disaster rapid assessment of needs.
- Authors: Malilay J, Flanders WD, Brogan D
- Issue date: 1996