Changes in Escherichia coli resistance to co-trimoxazole in tuberculosis patients and in relation to co-trimoxazole prophylaxis in Thyolo, Malawi.
Harries, A D
Spielmann M P
Salaniponi, F M L
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières-Luxembourg, Thyolo District, Malawi. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn Thyolo district, Malawi, an operational research study is being conducted on the efficacy and feasibility of co-trimoxazole prophylaxis in preventing deaths in HIV-positive patients with tuberculosis (TB). A series of cross-sectional studies were carried out in 1999 and 2001 to determine (i) whether faecal Escherichia coli resistance to co-trimoxazole in TB patients changed with time, and (ii) whether the resistance pattern was different in HIV-positive TB patients who were taking co-trimoxazole prophylaxis. Co-trimoxazole resistance among E. coli isolates in TB patients at the time of registration was 60% in 1999 and 77% in 2001 (P < 0.01). Resistance was 89% among HIV-infected TB patients (receiving cotrimoxazole), while in HIV-negative patients (receiving anti-TB therapy alone) it was 62% (P < 0.001). The study shows a significant increase of E. coli resistance to co-trimoxazole in TB patients which is particularly prominent in HIV-infected patients on co-trimoxazole prophylaxis. Since a high degree of plasmid-mediated transfer of resistance exists between E. coli and the Salmonella species, these findings could herald limitations on the short- and long-term benefits to be expected from the use of co-trimoxazole prophylaxis in preventing non-typhoid Salmonella bacteraemia and enteritis in HIV-infected TB patients in Malawi.
- Changes in Escherichia coli resistance to co-trimoxazole in tuberculosis patients and in relation to co-trimoxazole prophylaxis in Thyolo, Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Harries AD, Spielmann MP, Arendt V, Nchingula D, Mwenda R, Courtielle O, Kirpach P, Mwale B, Salaniponi F
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- Cotrimoxazole prophylaxis in HIV-infected individuals after completing anti-tuberculosis treatment in Thyolo, Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Spielmann MP, Harries AD, Gomani P, Bakali E
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Compliance with cotrimoxazole prophylaxis for the prevention of opportunistic infections in HIV-positive tuberculosis patients in Thyolo district, Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Harries AD, Arendt V, Wennig R, Schneider S, Spielmann M, Panarotto E, Gomani P, Salaniponi FM
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Cotrimoxazole prophylaxis reduces mortality in human immunodeficiency virus-positive tuberculosis patients in Karonga District, Malawi.
- Authors: Mwaungulu FB, Floyd S, Crampin AC, Kasimba S, Malema S, Kanyongoloka H, Harries AD, Glynn JR, Fine PE
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Initiating co-trimoxazole prophylaxis in HIV-infected patients in Africa: an evaluation of the provisional WHO/UNAIDS recommendations.
- Authors: Badri M, Ehrlich R, Wood R, Maartens G
- Issue date: 2001 Jun 15