Clonal reconquest of antibiotic-susceptible Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi in Son La Province, Vietnam.
AuthorsWeill, F X
Tran, H H
Minh, N B
Stavnes, T L
Grimont, P A D
Guerin, P J
AffiliationCentre National de Référence des Salmonella, Centre Collaborateur OMS de Référence et de Recherche pour les Salmonella, Unité de Biodiversité des Bactéries Pathogènes Emergentes, INSERM U389, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the last three decades, high rates of resistance to common first-line antimicrobial agents have been reported in Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi (Typhi), the causative organism of typhoid fever (TF), in many regions of the world, especially in South East Asia. Analysis of Typhi strains isolated from outbreaks and sporadic cases of TF in Son La province, northwest Vietnam, in 2002 revealed that 94.5% (85/90) of the isolates were fully susceptible to amoxicillin, chloramphenicol, cotrimoxazole, tetracycline, and nalidixic acid. There was a clear decline in the occurrence of multi-drug resistant (MDR) Typhi isolates collected in this province in 2002 (4.4%) compared with the period 1995-1999 in the same province (30.8-100%). By using molecular (IS200 profiling, PstI-ribotyping, XbaI-pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, and haplotyping) and phage-typing methods, we showed that the Typhi isolates from Son La province in 2002 were genetically related; however, they were unrelated to the previous MDR clones established in Vietnam.
- Epidemic typhoid in vietnam: molecular typing of multiple-antibiotic-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype typhi from four outbreaks.
- Authors: Connerton P, Wain J, Hien TT, Ali T, Parry C, Chinh NT, Vinh H, Ho VA, Diep TS, Day NP, White NJ, Dougan G, Farrar JJ
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- Molecular characterization of Salmonella enterica Serotype Typhi isolates by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis in Hong Kong, 2000-2004.
- Authors: Kam KM, Luey KY, Chiu AW, Law CP, Leung SF
- Issue date: 2007 Spring
- Molecular typing of Salmonella enterica serovar typhi.
- Authors: Navarro F, Llovet T, Echeita MA, Coll P, Aladueña A, Usera MA, Prats G
- Issue date: 1996 Nov
- Endemic, epidemic clone of Salmonella enterica serovar typhi harboring a single multidrug-resistant plasmid in Vietnam between 1995 and 2002.
- Authors: Le TA, Lejay-Collin M, Grimont PA, Hoang TL, Nguyen TV, Grimont F, Scavizzi MR
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- Molecular typing and resistance analysis of travel-associated Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi.
- Authors: Tatavarthy A, Sanderson R, Peak K, Scilabro G, Davenhill P, Cannons A, Amuso P
- Issue date: 2012 Aug