Does One Size Fit All? Drug Resistance and Standard Treatments: Results of Six Tuberculosis Programmes in Former Soviet Countries.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Paris, France. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSETTING: After the collapse of the Soviet Union, countries in the region faced a dramatic increase in tuberculosis cases and the emergence of drug resistance. OBJECTIVE: To discuss the relevance of the DOTS strategy in settings with a high prevalence of drug resistance. DESIGN: Retrospective analysis of one-year treatment outcomes of short-course chemotherapy (SCC) and results of drug susceptibility testing (DST) surveys of six programmes located in the former Soviet Union: Kemerovo prison, Russia; Abkhasia, Georgia; Nagorno-Karabagh, Azerbaijan; Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan; Dashoguz Velayat, Turkmenistan; and South Kazakhstan Oblast, Kazakhstan. Results are reported for new and previously treated smear-positive patients. RESULTS: Treatment outcomes of 3090 patients and DST results of 1383 patients were collected. Treatment success rates ranged between 87% and 61%, in Nagorno-Karabagh and Kemerovo, respectively, and failure rates between 7% and 23%. Any drug resistance ranged between 66% and 31% in the same programmes. MDR rates ranged between 28% in Karakalpakstan and Kemerovo prison and 4% in Nagorno-Karabagh. CONCLUSION: These results show the limits of SCC in settings with a high prevalence of drug resistance. They demonstrate that adapting treatment according to resistance patterns, access to reliable culture, DST and good quality second-line drugs are necessary.
- Prevalence of drug resistance under the DOTS strategy in Hyderabad, South India, 2001-2003.
- Authors: Anuradha B, Aparna S, Hari Sai Priya V, Vijaya Lakshmi V, Akbar Y, Suman Latha G, Murthy KJ
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Tuberculosis drug resistance and treatment outcomes under DOTS settings in large cities in the Philippines.
- Authors: Ohkado A, Aguiman L, Adlawan S, Baring E, Quirante O, Suchi M, Endo S, Fujiki A, Mori T
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Directly observed treatment, short-course strategy and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: are any modifications required?
- Authors: Bastian I, Rigouts L, Van Deun A, Portaels F
- Issue date: 2000
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment outcomes in Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan: treatment complexity and XDR-TB among treatment failures.
- Authors: Cox HS, Kalon S, Allamuratova S, Sizaire V, Tigay ZN, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Karimovich HA, Kebede Y, Mills C
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 7
- Tuberculosis recurrence and mortality after successful treatment: impact of drug resistance.
- Authors: Cox H, Kebede Y, Allamuratova S, Ismailov G, Davletmuratova Z, Byrnes G, Stone C, Niemann S, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Blok L, Doshetov D
- Issue date: 2006 Oct