A Drug Dosage Table is a Useful Tool to Facilitate Prescriptions of Antiretroviral Drugs for Children in Thailand.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Bangkok, Thailand.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractScaling up of antiretroviral treatment (ART) for children in countries like Thailand will require decentralization and management by non-specialist doctors. We describe (a) the formulation of a standardized drug dosage table to facilitate antiretroviral drug (ARV) prescriptions for children, (b) the acceptability of such a table among doctors and (c) the safety and efficacy of drug doses in the table. Acceptability was assessed using a questionnaire. Safety and efficacy were assessed on the basis of incidence of adverse effects and virological response to treatment, respectively. Of all doctors (n=18), 17 (94%) found that the table was practical to use, avoided miscalculations and made them more confident with prescriptions. Of 49 children prescribed ARVs, less than 5% had adverse side-effects. All ARV-naïve children achieved undetectable viral loads within six months of ART. In our setting, a standardized drug dosage table provided a simple and reliable tool that facilitated ARV prescriptions for children.
- Prevalence of possible drug-drug interactions between antiretroviral agents in different age groups in a section of the private health care sector setting in South Africa.
- Authors: Katende-Kyenda NL, Lubbe MS, Serfontein JH, Truter I
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Antiretroviral therapy for children in the routine setting in Malawi.
- Authors: Malawi Paediatric Antiretroviral Treatment Group.
- Issue date: 2007 May
- [Recommendations from the GESIDA/Spanish AIDS Plan regarding antiretroviral treatment in adults with human immunodeficiency virus infection (update February 2009)].
- Authors: Panel de expertos de Gesida y Plan Nacional sobre el Sida.
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- [Recommendations from the GESIDA/Spanish AIDS Plan regarding antiretroviral treatment in adults with human immunodeficiency virus infection (update January 2007)].
- Authors: Panel de expertos de GESIDA., Plan Nacional sobre el Sida.
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- In resource-limited settings good early outcomes can be achieved in children using adult fixed-dose combination antiretroviral therapy.
- Authors: O'Brien DP, Sauvageot D, Zachariah R, Humblet P, Medecins Sans Frontieres.
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 3