A Drug Dosage Table is a Useful Tool to Facilitate Prescriptions of Antiretroviral Drugs for Children in Thailand.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Bangkok, Thailand.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractScaling up of antiretroviral treatment (ART) for children in countries like Thailand will require decentralization and management by non-specialist doctors. We describe (a) the formulation of a standardized drug dosage table to facilitate antiretroviral drug (ARV) prescriptions for children, (b) the acceptability of such a table among doctors and (c) the safety and efficacy of drug doses in the table. Acceptability was assessed using a questionnaire. Safety and efficacy were assessed on the basis of incidence of adverse effects and virological response to treatment, respectively. Of all doctors (n=18), 17 (94%) found that the table was practical to use, avoided miscalculations and made them more confident with prescriptions. Of 49 children prescribed ARVs, less than 5% had adverse side-effects. All ARV-naïve children achieved undetectable viral loads within six months of ART. In our setting, a standardized drug dosage table provided a simple and reliable tool that facilitated ARV prescriptions for children.
- Efficacy and tolerability of nevirapine- versus efavirenz-containing regimens in HIV-infected Thai children.
- Authors: Lapphra K, Vanprapar N, Chearskul S, Phongsamart W, Chearskul P, Prasitsuebsai W, Chokephaibulkit K
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Optimisation of antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected children under 3 years of age.
- Authors: Penazzato M, Prendergast AJ, Muhe LM, Tindyebwa D, Abrams E
- Issue date: 2014 May 22
- Virological response and resistance among HIV-infected children receiving long-term antiretroviral therapy without virological monitoring in Uganda and Zimbabwe: Observational analyses within the randomised ARROW trial.
- Authors: Szubert AJ, Prendergast AJ, Spyer MJ, Musiime V, Musoke P, Bwakura-Dangarembizi M, Nahirya-Ntege P, Thomason MJ, Ndashimye E, Nkanya I, Senfuma O, Mudenge B, Klein N, Gibb DM, Walker AS, ARROW Trial Team.
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Initial experience of a public sector antiretroviral treatment programme for HIV-infected children and their infected parents.
- Authors: Eley B, Nuttall J, Davies MA, Smith L, Cowburn C, Buys H, Hussey G
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Prevalence of possible drug-drug interactions between antiretroviral agents in different age groups in a section of the private health care sector setting in South Africa.
- Authors: Katende-Kyenda NL, Lubbe MS, Serfontein JH, Truter I
- Issue date: 2008 Aug