Clinical Presentation of Louse-Borne Relapsing Fever Among Ethiopian Refugees in Northern Somalia.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLouse-borne relapsing fever (LBRF) is still endemic among Ethiopian populations. In order to assess the clinical presentation of LBRF in an Ethiopian refugee camp in northern Somalia, a referral system was organized for all pyrexias of unknown origin. Among the 134 patients referred, 37 showed Borrelia in fresh and stained blood smears. Common clinical features were: high fever (above 39 degrees C in 73% of the cases), headache and general body pain (88%), liver tenderness (62%), petechia (54%), nausea and vomiting (46%), chills and rigors (30%) and epistaxis (11%). Jaundice was absent. No fatalities were observed. The clinical picture was less severe than in previous studies on LBRF. This difference might be due to the fact that the present study was community-based as opposed to the previous studies which were hospital-based.
PublisherPublished by: Maney Publishing
- Louse-borne relapsing fever in Ethiopian children: a clinical study.
- Authors: Borgnolo G, Denku B, Chiabrera F, Hailu B
- Issue date: 1993
- Louse-borne relapsing fever in Ethiopian children: experience of a rural hospital.
- Authors: Ramos JM, Malmierca E, Reyes F, Tesfamariam A
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- [Louse-borne-relapsing-fever in refugees from the Horn of Africa; a case series of 25 patients].
- Authors: Seilmaier M, Guggemos W, Wieser A, Fingerle V, Balzer L, Fenzl T, Hoch M, von Both U, Schmidt HU, Wendtner CM, Strobel E
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Louse-borne relapsing fever in Finland in two asylum seekers from Somalia.
- Authors: Hytönen J, Khawaja T, Grönroos JO, Jalava A, Meri S, Oksi J
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Louse-borne relapsing fever (Borrelia recurrentis) diagnosed in 15 refugees from northeast Africa: epidemiology and preventive control measures, Bavaria, Germany, July to October 2015.
- Authors: Hoch M, Wieser A, Löscher T, Margos G, Pürner F, Zühl J, Seilmaier M, Balzer L, Guggemos W, Rack-Hoch A, von Both U, Hauptvogel K, Schönberger K, Hautmann W, Sing A, Fingerle V
- Issue date: 2015