Comparison of Generic and Proprietary Sodium Stibogluconate for the Treatment of Visceral Leishmaniasis in Kenya.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières-Holland (MSF-H) Kala-azar Programme, South Sudan/Kenya.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To compare the use of generic and proprietary sodium stibogluconate for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis (kala-azar). METHODS: A total of 102 patients with confirmed kala-azar were treated in a mission hospital in West Pokot region, Kenya, with sodium stibogluconate (20 mg/kg/day for 30 days)--either as Pentostam (PSM) or generic sodium stibogluconate (SSG); 51 patients were allocated alternately to each treatment group. FINDINGS: There were no significant differences in baseline demographic characteristics or disease severity, or in events during treatment. There were 3 deaths in the PSM group and 1 in the SSG group; 2 patients defaulted in each group. Only 1 out of 80 test-of-cure splenic aspirates was positive for Leishmania spp.; this patient was in the SSG group. Follow-up after > or = 6 months showed that 6 out of 58 patients had relapsed, 5 in the SSG group and 1 in the PSM group. No outcome variable was significantly different between the two groups. CONCLUSION: The availability of cheaper generic sodium stibogluconate, subject to rigid quality controls, now makes it possible for the health authorities in kala-azar endemic areas to provide treatment to many more patients in Africa.
PublisherPublished by WHO
- A thirty day course of sodium stibogluconate for treatment of Kala-azar in Nepal.
- Authors: Karki P, Koirala S, Parija SC, Hansdak SG, Das ML
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- A comparison of miltefosine and sodium stibogluconate for treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in an Ethiopian population with high prevalence of HIV infection.
- Authors: Ritmeijer K, Dejenie A, Assefa Y, Hundie TB, Mesure J, Boots G, den Boer M, Davidson RN
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 1
- A randomized comparison of branded sodium stibogluconate and generic sodium stibogluconate for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis under field conditions in Sudan.
- Authors: Veeken H, Ritmeijer K, Seaman J, Davidson R
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Magnitude of unresponsiveness to sodium stibogluconate in the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in Bihar.
- Authors: Das VN, Ranjan A, Bimal S, Siddique NA, Pandey K, Kumar N, Verma N, Singh VP, Sinha PK, Bhattacharya SK
- Issue date: 2005 May-Jun
- Immunochemotherapy of persistent post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis: a novel approach to treatment.
- Authors: Musa AM, Khalil EA, Mahgoub FA, Elgawi SH, Modabber F, Elkadaru AE, Aboud MH, Noazin S, Ghalib HW, El-Hassan AM, Leishmaniasis Research Group/Sudan.
- Issue date: 2008 Jan