The Efficacy of Chloroquine for the Treatment of Acute, Uncomplicated, Plasmodium Falciparum Malaria in Laos.
AuthorsGuthmann, J P
AffiliationEpicentre, 8 rue Saint Sabin, 75011 Paris, France. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo assess the local efficacy of chloroquine for the treatment of acute, uncomplicated, Plasmodium falciparum malaria, children and adults from Sekong province (an area of Laos with a low intensity of transmission) were tested in a 28-day, in-vivo study. Complete data were collected from 88 of the 102 subjects enrolled between October 1999 and September 2000. After genotypic analysis to distinguish recrudescing infections from re-infections, 35 (39.7%, with a 95% confidence interval of 29.5%-50.7%) of these 88 patients were considered treatment failures. These results seriously question the use of chloroquine as the first-line treatment for P. falciparum malaria in the study area.
PublisherPublished by: Maney Publishing
- Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Laos: chloroquine treatment outcome and predictive value of molecular markers.
- Authors: Pillai DR, Labbé AC, Vanisaveth V, Hongvangthong B, Pomphida S, Inkathone S, Zhong K, Kain KC
- Issue date: 2001 Mar 1
- A randomized comparison of oral chloroquine and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Laos.
- Authors: Mayxay M, Phetsouvanh R, Phompida S, Newton PN, Khanthavong M, Vannachone B, Brockmans A, White NJ
- Issue date: 2003 May-Jun
- Randomized comparison of chloroquine plus sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine versus artesunate plus mefloquine versus artemether-lumefantrine in the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in the Lao People's Democratic Republic.
- Authors: Mayxay M, Khanthavong M, Lindegårdh N, Keola S, Barends M, Pongvongsa T, Yapom R, Annerberg A, Phompida S, Phetsouvanh R, White NJ, Newton PN
- Issue date: 2004 Oct 15
- Efficacy of chloroquine for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Honduras.
- Authors: Mejia Torres RE, Banegas EI, Mendoza M, Diaz C, Bucheli ST, Fontecha GA, Alam MT, Goldman I, Udhayakumar V, Zambrano JO
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Assessment of therapeutic response of Plasmodium falciparum to chloroquine and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine in an area of low malaria transmission in Colombia.
- Authors: Osorio LE, Giraldo LE, Grajales LF, Arriaga AL, Andrade AL, Ruebush TK 2nd, Barat LM
- Issue date: 1999 Dec