The Efficacy of Chloroquine for the Treatment of Acute, Uncomplicated, Plasmodium Falciparum Malaria in Laos.
AuthorsGuthmann, J P
AffiliationEpicentre, 8 rue Saint Sabin, 75011 Paris, France. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo assess the local efficacy of chloroquine for the treatment of acute, uncomplicated, Plasmodium falciparum malaria, children and adults from Sekong province (an area of Laos with a low intensity of transmission) were tested in a 28-day, in-vivo study. Complete data were collected from 88 of the 102 subjects enrolled between October 1999 and September 2000. After genotypic analysis to distinguish recrudescing infections from re-infections, 35 (39.7%, with a 95% confidence interval of 29.5%-50.7%) of these 88 patients were considered treatment failures. These results seriously question the use of chloroquine as the first-line treatment for P. falciparum malaria in the study area.
PublisherPublished by: Maney Publishing
- Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Laos: chloroquine treatment outcome and predictive value of molecular markers.
- Authors: Pillai DR, Labbé AC, Vanisaveth V, Hongvangthong B, Pomphida S, Inkathone S, Zhong K, Kain KC
- Issue date: 2001 Mar 1
- Randomized comparison of chloroquine plus sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine versus artesunate plus mefloquine versus artemether-lumefantrine in the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in the Lao People's Democratic Republic.
- Authors: Mayxay M, Khanthavong M, Lindegårdh N, Keola S, Barends M, Pongvongsa T, Yapom R, Annerberg A, Phompida S, Phetsouvanh R, White NJ, Newton PN
- Issue date: 2004 Oct 15
- Efficacy of chloroquine for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Honduras.
- Authors: Mejia Torres RE, Banegas EI, Mendoza M, Diaz C, Bucheli ST, Fontecha GA, Alam MT, Goldman I, Udhayakumar V, Zambrano JO
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Evaluation of chloroquine therapy for vivax and falciparum malaria in southern Sumatra, western Indonesia.
- Authors: Sutanto I, Endawati D, Ling LH, Laihad F, Setiabudy R, Baird JK
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 12
- Resistance of Plasmodium falciparum malaria to amodiaquine, chloroquine and quinine in the Madang Province of Papua New Guinea, 1990-1993.
- Authors: al-Yaman F, Genton B, Mokela D, Narara A, Raiko A, Alpers MP
- Issue date: 1996 Mar