Cotrimoxazole prophylaxis for HIV-positive TB patients in developing countries.
AffiliationMedecins sans Frontieres, Operational Research HIV-TB, Medical department, Brussels Operational Center, 68 Rue de Gaspench, L-1617 Luxemburg. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite provisional recommendations from the World Health Organization and UNAIDS that cotrimoxazole (CTX) prophylaxis be offered to all individuals living with AIDS, including HIV-positive patients with TB, its routine use in developing countries particularly Africa has been minimal. Concerns were expressed regarding its effectiveness in areas of high bacterial resistance, that its widespread use might substantially increase bacterial cross-resistance in the community and that this intervention might promote resistance of malaria parasites to sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine. We review the current evidence on the above concerns and highlight the main operational considerations related to implementing CTX prophylaxis as a basic component of care for HIV-positive TB patients in developing countries.
- Cotrimoxazole prophylaxis reduces mortality in human immunodeficiency virus-positive tuberculosis patients in Karonga District, Malawi.
- Authors: Mwaungulu FB, Floyd S, Crampin AC, Kasimba S, Malema S, Kanyongoloka H, Harries AD, Glynn JR, Fine PE
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Provisional WHO/UNAIDS recommendations on the use of contrimoxazole prophylaxis in adults and children living with HIV/AIDS in Africa.
- Authors: World Health Organization., UNAIDS.
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Reconsidering empirical cotrimoxazole prophylaxis for infants exposed to HIV infection.
- Authors: Gill CJ, Sabin LL, Tham J, Hamer DH
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Cotrimoxazole prophylaxis in HIV-infected individuals after completing anti-tuberculosis treatment in Thyolo, Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Spielmann MP, Harries AD, Gomani P, Bakali E
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Cost-effectiveness of cotrimoxazole prophylaxis among persons with HIV in Uganda.
- Authors: Pitter C, Kahn JG, Marseille E, Lule JR, McFarland DA, Ekwaru JP, Bunnell R, Coutinho A, Mermin J
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 1