Emergence or re-emergence of visceral leishmaniasis in areas of Somalia, north-eastern Kenya, and south-eastern Ethiopia in 2000-01.
AffiliationMedecins Sans Frontieres-Holland, Max Euweplein, EA Amsterdam, The Netherlands. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVisceral leishmaniasis (VL) was known to be endemic in Somalia along the basins of the (Middle) Shebelle and (Lower) Juba rivers, and in Kenya in parts of the Rift Valley, on the border with Uganda and the Eastern Provinces. From May 2000 to August 2001, we diagnosed 904 patients with VL. The patients came from an area which spanned the Wajir and Mandera districts of north-eastern Kenya, southern Somalia, and south-eastern Ethiopia. Small numbers of patients were also seen in northern Somalia. These areas were either previously non-endemic for VL, or had only sporadic cases prior to the epidemic. We describe the features of the outbreak and review the history of VL in the region. Unusual rainfall patterns, malnutrition, and migration of a Leishmania-infected population seeking food and security may have contributed to this outbreak.
- A neglected disease of humans: a new focus of visceral leishmaniasis in Bakool, Somalia.
- Authors: Marlet MV, Wuillaume F, Jacquet D, Quispe KW, Dujardin JC, Boelaert M
- Issue date: 2003 Nov-Dec
- Visceral leishmaniasis in selected communities of Hamar and Banna-Tsamai districts in Lower Omo Valley, South West Ethiopia: Sero-epidemological and Leishmanin Skin Test Surveys.
- Authors: Bekele F, Belay T, Zeynudin A, Hailu A
- Issue date: 2018
- Clinical epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in the Pokot endemic area of Uganda and Kenya.
- Authors: Mueller YK, Kolaczinski JH, Koech T, Lokwang P, Riongoita M, Velilla E, Brooker SJ, Chappuis F
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Control of visceral leishmaniasis in Somalia: achievements in a challenging scenario, 2013–2015.
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 22
- Sodium stibogluconate-sensitive visceral leishmaniasis in the non-endemic hilly region of Uttarakhand, India.
- Authors: Verma SK, Ahmad S, Shirazi N, Kusum A, Kaushik RM, Barthwal SP
- Issue date: 2007 Jul