Evaluation of a New Recombinant K39 Rapid Diagnostic Test for Sudanese Visceral Leishmaniasis.
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new rK39 rapid diagnostic dipstick test (DiaMed-IT-Leish) was compared with aspiration and a direct agglutination test (DAT) for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in 201 parasitologically confirmed cases, 133 endemic controls, and in 356 clinical suspects in disease-endemic and -epidemic areas in Sudan. The sensitivity of the rK39 test in parasitologically confirmed VL cases was 90%, whereas the specificity in disease-endemic controls was 99%. The sensitivity of the DAT was 98%. In clinically suspected cases, the sensitivity of the rK39 test was 81% and the specificity was 97%. When compared with the diagnostic protocol based on the DAT and aspiration used by Médecins sans Frontières in epidemic situations, the positive predictive value was 98%, and the negative predictive value was 71%. This rK39 rapid diagnostic test is suitable for screening as well as diagnosis of VL. Further diagnostic work-up of dipstick-negative patients with clinically suspected VL is important. The ease and convenience of the dipstick test will allow decentralization and improved access to care in disease-endemic areas in Sudan.
- Comparison of an rK39 dipstick rapid test with direct agglutination test and splenic aspiration for the diagnosis of kala-azar in Sudan.
- Authors: Veeken H, Ritmeijer K, Seaman J, Davidson R
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Field evaluation of rK39 test and direct agglutination test for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in a population with high prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus in Ethiopia.
- Authors: ter Horst R, Tefera T, Assefa G, Ebrahim AZ, Davidson RN, Ritmeijer K
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Use of the recombinant K39 dipstick test and the direct agglutination test in a setting endemic for visceral leishmaniasis in Nepal.
- Authors: Bern C, Jha SN, Joshi AB, Thakur GD, Bista MB
- Issue date: 2000 Sep-Oct
- Evaluation of the direct agglutination test and the rK39 dipstick test for the sero-diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Schallig HD, Canto-Cavalheiro M, da Silva ES
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- Diagnosing visceral leishmaniasis with the recombinant K39 strip test: experience from the Sudan.
- Authors: Zijlstra EE, Nur Y, Desjeux P, Khalil EA, El-Hassan AM, Groen J
- Issue date: 2001 Feb