Evaluation of a New Recombinant K39 Rapid Diagnostic Test for Sudanese Visceral Leishmaniasis.
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new rK39 rapid diagnostic dipstick test (DiaMed-IT-Leish) was compared with aspiration and a direct agglutination test (DAT) for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in 201 parasitologically confirmed cases, 133 endemic controls, and in 356 clinical suspects in disease-endemic and -epidemic areas in Sudan. The sensitivity of the rK39 test in parasitologically confirmed VL cases was 90%, whereas the specificity in disease-endemic controls was 99%. The sensitivity of the DAT was 98%. In clinically suspected cases, the sensitivity of the rK39 test was 81% and the specificity was 97%. When compared with the diagnostic protocol based on the DAT and aspiration used by Médecins sans Frontières in epidemic situations, the positive predictive value was 98%, and the negative predictive value was 71%. This rK39 rapid diagnostic test is suitable for screening as well as diagnosis of VL. Further diagnostic work-up of dipstick-negative patients with clinically suspected VL is important. The ease and convenience of the dipstick test will allow decentralization and improved access to care in disease-endemic areas in Sudan.
- Comparison of an rK39 dipstick rapid test with direct agglutination test and splenic aspiration for the diagnosis of kala-azar in Sudan.
- Authors: Veeken H, Ritmeijer K, Seaman J, Davidson R
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Field evaluation of rK39 test and direct agglutination test for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in a population with high prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus in Ethiopia.
- Authors: ter Horst R, Tefera T, Assefa G, Ebrahim AZ, Davidson RN, Ritmeijer K
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Diagnosing visceral leishmaniasis with the recombinant K39 strip test: experience from the Sudan.
- Authors: Zijlstra EE, Nur Y, Desjeux P, Khalil EA, El-Hassan AM, Groen J
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- Prospective evaluation and comparison of the direct agglutination test and an rK39-antigen-based dipstick test for the diagnosis of suspected kala-azar in Nepal.
- Authors: Chappuis F, Rijal S, Singh R, Acharya P, Karki BM, Das ML, Bovier PA, Desjeux P, Le Ray D, Koirala S, Loutan L
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Multi-centric prospective evaluation of rk39 rapid test and direct agglutination test for the diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil.
- Authors: de Assis TS, Braga AS, Pedras MJ, Oliveira E, Barral A, de Siqueira IC, Costa CH, Costa DL, Holanda TA, Soares VY, Biá M, Caldas Ade J, Romero GA, Rabello A
- Issue date: 2011 Feb