Evaluation of a New Recombinant K39 Rapid Diagnostic Test for Sudanese Visceral Leishmaniasis.
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new rK39 rapid diagnostic dipstick test (DiaMed-IT-Leish) was compared with aspiration and a direct agglutination test (DAT) for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in 201 parasitologically confirmed cases, 133 endemic controls, and in 356 clinical suspects in disease-endemic and -epidemic areas in Sudan. The sensitivity of the rK39 test in parasitologically confirmed VL cases was 90%, whereas the specificity in disease-endemic controls was 99%. The sensitivity of the DAT was 98%. In clinically suspected cases, the sensitivity of the rK39 test was 81% and the specificity was 97%. When compared with the diagnostic protocol based on the DAT and aspiration used by Médecins sans Frontières in epidemic situations, the positive predictive value was 98%, and the negative predictive value was 71%. This rK39 rapid diagnostic test is suitable for screening as well as diagnosis of VL. Further diagnostic work-up of dipstick-negative patients with clinically suspected VL is important. The ease and convenience of the dipstick test will allow decentralization and improved access to care in disease-endemic areas in Sudan.
- Field evaluation of rK39 test and direct agglutination test for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in a population with high prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus in Ethiopia.
- Authors: ter Horst R, Tefera T, Assefa G, Ebrahim AZ, Davidson RN, Ritmeijer K
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Multi-centric prospective evaluation of rk39 rapid test and direct agglutination test for the diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil.
- Authors: de Assis TS, Braga AS, Pedras MJ, Oliveira E, Barral A, de Siqueira IC, Costa CH, Costa DL, Holanda TA, Soares VY, Biá M, Caldas Ade J, Romero GA, Rabello A
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- rKLO8, a novel Leishmania donovani - derived recombinant immunodominant protein for sensitive detection of visceral leishmaniasis in Sudan.
- Authors: Abass E, Bollig N, Reinhard K, Camara B, Mansour D, Visekruna A, Lohoff M, Steinhoff U
- Issue date: 2013
- Rapid detection of Leishmania infantum infection in dogs: comparative study using an immunochromatographic dipstick rk39 test and direct agglutination.
- Authors: Mohebali M, Taran M, Zarei Z
- Issue date: 2004 May 26
- Serological diagnosis of Indian visceral leishmaniasis: direct agglutination test versus rK39 strip test.
- Authors: Sundar S, Singh RK, Maurya R, Kumar B, Chhabra A, Singh V, Rai M
- Issue date: 2006 Jun