Identifying Health Centers in Honduras Infested with Rhodnius Prolixus Using the Seroprevalence of Chagas Disease in Children Younger than 13 Years.
AffiliationUniversity of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia; Médecins Sans Frontières, Paris, France. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe objective of this study is to determine if a Chagas disease protocol starting with a serological survey is as reliable at identifying insect-infested areas as one using the gold standard entomological survey. The study found that health center areas infested with Rhodnius prolixus were identified using a threshold seroprevalence of 0.1%. The serological survey took half the time and was 30% less expensive than the entomological survey. Developing countries with limited resources may find this strategy useful in combating Chagas disease. This strategy also identifies seropositive children, which facilitates their treatment.
- Risk factors for Trypanosoma cruzi human infection in Barinas State, Venezuela.
- Authors: Feliciangeli MD, Sánchez-Martín MJ, Suárez B, Marrero R, Torrellas A, Bravo A, Medina M, Martínez C, Hernandez M, Duque N, Toyo J, Rangel R
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Mixed domestic infestation by Rhodnius prolixus Stal, 1859 and Panstrongylus geniculatus Latreille, 1811, vector incrimination, and seroprevalence for Trypanosoma cruzi among inhabitants in El Guamito, Lara State, Venezuela.
- Authors: Feliciangeli MD, Carrasco H, Patterson JS, Suarez B, Martínez C, Medina M
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- [Seroepidemiology of Chagas disease in two rural populations in the municipality of Costa de Oro, at Aragua State, northern Venezuela].
- Authors: Serrano O, Mendoza F, Suárez B, Soto A
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- [Seroepidemiology of Chagas disease in Mexico].
- Authors: Velasco-Castrejón O, Valdespino JL, Tapia-Conyer R, Salvatierra B, Guzmán-Bracho C, Magos C, Llausás A, Gutiérrez G, Sepúlveda J
- Issue date: 1992 Mar-Apr
- [Towards the elimination of the transmission of Trypanosoma cruzi in Honduras and Central American countries].
- Authors: Ponce C
- Issue date: 1999