Identifying Health Centers in Honduras Infested with Rhodnius Prolixus Using the Seroprevalence of Chagas Disease in Children Younger than 13 Years.
AffiliationUniversity of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia; Médecins Sans Frontières, Paris, France. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe objective of this study is to determine if a Chagas disease protocol starting with a serological survey is as reliable at identifying insect-infested areas as one using the gold standard entomological survey. The study found that health center areas infested with Rhodnius prolixus were identified using a threshold seroprevalence of 0.1%. The serological survey took half the time and was 30% less expensive than the entomological survey. Developing countries with limited resources may find this strategy useful in combating Chagas disease. This strategy also identifies seropositive children, which facilitates their treatment.
- Risk factors for Trypanosoma cruzi human infection in Barinas State, Venezuela.
- Authors: Feliciangeli MD, Sánchez-Martín MJ, Suárez B, Marrero R, Torrellas A, Bravo A, Medina M, Martínez C, Hernandez M, Duque N, Toyo J, Rangel R
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Mixed domestic infestation by Rhodnius prolixus Stal, 1859 and Panstrongylus geniculatus Latreille, 1811, vector incrimination, and seroprevalence for Trypanosoma cruzi among inhabitants in El Guamito, Lara State, Venezuela.
- Authors: Feliciangeli MD, Carrasco H, Patterson JS, Suarez B, Martínez C, Medina M
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Seroprevalence of human Trypanosoma cruzi infection in diferent geografic zones of Chiapas, Mexico.
- Authors: Mazariego-Arana MA, Monteón VM, Ballinas-Verdugo MA, Hernández-Becerril N, Alejandre-Aguilar R, Reyes PA
- Issue date: 2001 Sep-Oct
- [Epidemiology of Chagas disease in Andrés Eloy Blanco, Lara, Venezuela: triatomine infestation and human seroprevalence].
- Authors: Rodríguez-Bonfante C, Amaro A, García M, Mejías Wohlert LE, Guillen P, Antonio García R, Alvarez N, Díaz M, Cárdenas E, Castillo S, Bonfante-Garrido R, Bonfante-Cabarcas R
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Seroprevalence and sociocultural conditionants of Chagas disease in school-aged children of marginal zones of Asunción.
- Authors: Vera NI, Maldonado M, Yaluff G, Simancas L, de Arias AR
- Issue date: 1998 Jul-Aug