Liposomal Amphotericin B (AmBisome) in the Treatment of Complicated Kala-Azar Under Field Conditions.
AffiliationMedecins Sans Frontieres Holland, The Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalClinical Infectious Diseases
AbstractAn open trial of liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome [L-AmB]; Vestar, San Dimas, CA) for treatment of complicated visceral leishmaniasis was performed in Sudan. Forty-nine patients were treated, and there were six deaths (12% mortality); these were not attributed to therapy. Thirty-seven patients were selected for the trial because of (1) relapse after treatment with a combination of pentavalent antimony (Sbv) and aminosidine, (2) incomplete parasitological response to Sbv and aminosidine, or (3) severe illness. Drug regimen 1 (3 doses of 3-5 mg/kg, on days 0, 3, and 10) cured 8 (50%) of 16 patients; regimen 2 (6 doses of 3-5 mg/kg, on days 0, 3, 6, 8, 10, and 13) cured 14 (88%) of 16. For four of 10 partial responders, "rescue" therapy with L-AmB alone (3 mg/kg daily for 10 days) resulted in cure. Twelve less-unwell patients received regimen 3 (4 doses of 4-5 mg/kg, on days 0, 2, 5, and 7); seven of 11 patients evaluated (64%) were cured. The optimal regimen of L-AmB in these circumstances is administration of 4 mg/kg on days 0, 3, 6, 8, 10, and 13.
- Short-course treatment of visceral leishmaniasis with liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome).
- Authors: Davidson RN, di Martino L, Gradoni L, Giacchino R, Gaeta GB, Pempinello R, Scotti S, Cascio A, Castagnola E, Maisto A, Gramiccia M, di Caprio D, Wilkinson RJ, Bryceson AD
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- Liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) in Mediterranean visceral leishmaniasis: a multi-centre trial.
- Authors: Davidson RN, Di Martino L, Gradoni L, Giacchino R, Russo R, Gaeta GB, Pempinello R, Scott S, Raimondi F, Cascio A
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Therapy of visceral leishmaniasis due to Leishmania infantum: experimental assessment of efficacy of AmBisome.
- Authors: Gangneux JP, Sulahian A, Garin YJ, Farinotti R, Derouin F
- Issue date: 1996 May
- Efficacy and safety of liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) for visceral leishmaniasis in endemic developing countries.
- Authors: Berman JD, Badaro R, Thakur CP, Wasunna KM, Behbehani K, Davidson R, Kuzoe F, Pang L, Weerasuriya K, Bryceson AD
- Issue date: 1998
- Short-course, low-dose amphotericin B lipid complex therapy for visceral leishmaniasis unresponsive to antimony.
- Authors: Sundar S, Agrawal NK, Sinha PR, Horwith GS, Murray HW
- Issue date: 1997 Jul 15