Moderate to severe malnutrition in patients with tuberculosis is a risk factor associated with early death.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières-Luxembourg, Thyolo District, Malawi. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study was conducted in new patients registered with tuberculosis (TB) in a rural district of Malawi to determine (i) the prevalence of malnutrition on admission and (ii) the association between malnutrition and early mortality (defined as death within the first 4 weeks of treatment). There were 1181 patients with TB (576 men and 605 women), whose overall rate of infection with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) was 80%. 673 TB patients (57%) were malnourished on admission (body mass index [BMI] < 18.5 kg/m2). There were 259 patients (22%) with mild malnutrition (BMI 17.0-18.4 kg/m2), 168 (14%) with moderate malnutrition (BMI 16.0-16.9 kg/m2) and 246 (21%) with severe malnutrition (BMI < 15.9 kg/m2). 95 patients (8%) died during the first 4 weeks. Significant risk factors for early mortality included increasing degrees of malnutrition, age > 35 years, and HIV seropositivity. Among all the 1181 patients, 10.9% of the 414 patients with moderate to severe malnutrition died in the first 4 weeks compared with 6.5% of the 767 patients with normal to mild malnutrition (odds ratio 1.8, 95% confidence interval 1.1-2.7). In patients with TB, BMI < 17.0 kg/m2 is associated with an increased risk of early death.
- Nutritional status of adult inpatients in Bujumbura, Burundi (impact of HIV infection).
- Authors: Niyongabo T, Henzel D, Ndayishimyie JM, Melchior JC, Ndayiragije A, Ndihokubwayo JB, Nikoyagize E, Rwasa T, Aubry P, Larouze B
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- Risk factors for high early mortality in patients on antiretroviral treatment in a rural district of Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Fitzgerald M, Massaquoi M, Pasulani O, Arnould L, Makombe S, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2006 Nov 28
- Risk factors for mortality in Malawian children with human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis co-infection.
- Authors: Buck WC, Olson D, Kabue MM, Ahmed S, Nchama LK, Munthali A, Hosseinipour MC, Kazembe PN
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Tuberculosis, human immunodeficiency virus infection, and malnutrition in Burundi.
- Authors: Niyongabo T, Henzel D, Idi M, Nimubona S, Gikoro E, Melchior JC, Matheron S, Kamanfu G, Samb B, Messing B, Begue J, Aubry P, Larouze B
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Measurement and determinants of tuberculosis outcome in Karonga District, Malawi.
- Authors: Glynn JR, Warndorff DK, Fine PE, Munthali MM, Sichone W, Pönnighaus JM
- Issue date: 1998