Outbreak of West Nile virus causing severe neurological involvement in children, Nuba Mountains, Sudan, 2002.
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn atypical outbreak of West Nile virus (WNV) occurred in Ngorban County, South Kordophan, Sudan, from May to August 2002. We investigated the epidemic and conducted a case-control study in the village of Limon. Blood samples were obtained for cases and controls. Patients with obvious sequelae underwent cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) sampling as well. We used enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and neutralization tests for laboratory diagnosis and identified 31 cases with encephalitis, four of whom died. Median age was 36 months. Bivariate analysis did not reveal any significant association with the risk factors investigated. Laboratory analysis confirmed presence of IgM antibodies caused by WNV in eight of 13 cases, indicative of recent viral infection. The unique aspects of the WNW outbreak in Sudan, i.e. disease occurrence solely among children and the clinical domination of encephalitis, involving severe neurological sequelae, demonstrate the continuing evolution of WNV virulence. The spread of such a virus to other countries or continents cannot be excluded.
- One-year sequelae in patients with West Nile Virus encephalitis and meningitis in Louisiana.
- Authors: Ou AC, Ratard RC
- Issue date: 2005 Jan-Feb
- The emergence of west nile virus during a large outbreak in Illinois in 2002.
- Authors: Huhn GD, Austin C, Langkop C, Kelly K, Lucht R, Lampman R, Novak R, Haramis L, Boker R, Smith S, Chudoba M, Gerber S, Conover C, Dworkin MS
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Epidemic West Nile virus encephalitis in Tunisia.
- Authors: Feki I, Marrakchi C, Ben Hmida M, Belahsen F, Ben Jemaa M, Maaloul I, Kanoun F, Ben Hamed S, Mhiri C
- Issue date: 2005
- Persistence of West Nile Virus (WNV) IgM antibodies in cerebrospinal fluid from patients with CNS disease.
- Authors: Kapoor H, Signs K, Somsel P, Downes FP, Clark PA, Massey JP
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- A high number of severe neurologic clinical forms during an epidemic of West Nile virus infection.
- Authors: Cernescu C, Ruţă SM, Târdei G, Grancea C, Moldoveanu L, Spulbăr E, Tsai T
- Issue date: 1997 Jan-Dec