Motives, sexual behaviour, and risk factors associated with HIV in individuals seeking voluntary counselling and testing in a rural district of Malawi.
AffiliationMedecins sans Frontieres, Thyolo, Malawi. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study was conducted among individuals seeking voluntary HIV counselling and testing (VCT) in order to (a) describe their motives and source(s) of information, (b) describe their sexual behaviour; and (c) identify risk factors associated with HIV infection. Of 723 individuals who sought VCT, the most common reason (50%) was recent knowledge of HIV/AIDS and a desire to know their HIV status. The majority (77%) underwent VCT after being encouraged by others who knew their status. Ninety five per cent reported sexual encounters, with 337 (49%) engaging in unprotected sex. HIV prevalence was 31% and an HIV-positive status was associated with being female, being over 25 years of age and/or being a farmer. There is a demand for VCT, and the service provides an opportunity for intensive education about HIV/AIDS prevention on a one-to-one basis. It could also be an entry point to prevention and care for those who are infected.
- Voluntary counselling and testing: uptake, impact on sexual behaviour, and HIV incidence in a rural Zimbabwean cohort.
- Authors: Sherr L, Lopman B, Kakowa M, Dube S, Chawira G, Nyamukapa C, Oberzaucher N, Cremin I, Gregson S
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 23
- Availability of supplies and motivations for accessing voluntary HIV counseling and testing services in Blantyre, Malawi.
- Authors: Jereni BH, Muula AS
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 23
- Voluntary HIV counselling and testing among men in rural western Uganda: implications for HIV prevention.
- Authors: Bwambale FM, Ssali SN, Byaruhanga S, Kalyango JN, Karamagi CA
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 30
- Changing patterns in HIV/AIDS stigma and uptake of voluntary counselling and testing services: the results of two consecutive community surveys conducted in the Western Cape, South Africa.
- Authors: Mall S, Middelkoop K, Mark D, Wood R, Bekker LG
- Issue date: 2013
- Voluntary counselling, HIV testing and sexual behaviour among patients with tuberculosis in a rural district of Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Spielmann MP, Harries AD, Salaniponi FL
- Issue date: 2003 Jan