Humanitarian Action and Military Intervention: Temptations and Possibilities.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières France, 8 Rue Saint Sabin, Paris 75011, France. Fabrice.firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough the war in Liberia in July 2003 claimed hundreds of lives, the international community was reluctant to intervene. In this article, the author debates the question: does international military intervention equal protection of populations? The role of humanitarian organisations in military intervention is considered. Aid organisations cannot call for deployment of a protection force without renouncing their autonomy or appealing to references outside their own practices. Such organisations provide victims with vital assistance and contribute to ensuring that their fate becomes a stake in political debate by exposing the violence that engulfs them, without substituting their own voices for those of the victims. The political content of humanitarian action is also outlined and military intervention in the context of genocide is discussed. The author concludes that the latter is one of the rare situations in which humanitarian actors can consider calling for an armed intervention without renouncing their own logic.
PublisherPublished by Wiley-Blackwell
- [Relations between military health services and humanitarian organizations--the point of view of the International Red Cross].
- Authors: Perrin P
- Issue date: 2002
- Implementation of evidence-based humanitarian programs in military-led missions: part I. Qualitative gap analysis of current military and international aid programs.
- Authors: Reaves EJ, Schor KW, Burkle FM Jr
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Strange but common bedfellows: the relationship between humanitarians and the military in developing psychosocial interventions for civilian populations affected by armed conflict.
- Authors: Kienzler H, Pedersen D
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- States of fragility: stabilisation and its implications for humanitarian action.
- Authors: Collinson S, Elhawary S, Muggah R
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Stabilising a victor's peace? Humanitarian action and reconstruction in eastern Sri Lanka.
- Authors: Goodhand J
- Issue date: 2010 Oct