AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières Aral Sea Area Programme, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, Tashkent, Uzbekistan. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
AbstractMultidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) has emerged as a major threat to TB control, particularly in the former Soviet Union. To determine levels of drug resistance within a directly observed treatment strategy (DOTS) program supported by Médecins Sans Frontières in two regions in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan, Central Asia, we conducted a cross-sectional survey of smear-positive TB patients in selected districts of Karakalpakstan (Uzbekistan) and Dashoguz (Turkmenistan). High levels of MDR-TB were found in both regions. In Karakalpakstan, 14 (13%) of 106 new patients were infected with MDR-TB; 43 (40%) of 107 previously treated patients were similarly infected. The proportions for Dashoguz were 4% (4/105 patients) and 18% (18/98 patients), respectively. Overall, 27% of patients with positive smear results whose infections were treated through the DOTS program in Karakalpakstan and 11% of similar patients in Dashoguz were infected with multidrug-resistant strains of TB on admission. These results show the need for concerted action by the international community to contain transmission and reduce the effects of MDR-TB.
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Uzbekistan: results of a nationwide survey, 2010 to 2011.
- Authors: Ulmasova DJ, Uzakova G, Tillyashayhov MN, Turaev L, van Gemert W, Hoffmann H, Zignol M, Kremer K, Gombogaram T, Gadoev J, du Cros P, Muslimova N, Jalolov A, Dadu A, de Colombani P, Telnov O, Slizkiy A, Kholikulov B, Dara M, Falzon D
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 17
- Risk of acquired drug resistance during short-course directly observed treatment of tuberculosis in an area with high levels of drug resistance.
- Authors: Cox HS, Niemann S, Ismailov G, Doshetov D, Orozco JD, Blok L, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Kebede Y
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 1
- Tuberculosis recurrence and mortality after successful treatment: impact of drug resistance.
- Authors: Cox H, Kebede Y, Allamuratova S, Ismailov G, Davletmuratova Z, Byrnes G, Stone C, Niemann S, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Blok L, Doshetov D
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis among previously treated patients in the Philippines.
- Authors: Gler MT, Macalintal LE, Raymond L, Guilatco R, Quelapio MI, Tupasi TE
- Issue date: 2011 May
- First-line anti-tuberculosis drug resistance patterns and trends at the national TB referral center in Iran--eight years of surveillance.
- Authors: Shamaei M, Marjani M, Chitsaz E, Kazempour M, Esmaeili M, Farnia P, Tabarsi P, Amiri MV, Mirsaeidi M, Mansouri D, Masjedi MR, Velayati AA
- Issue date: 2009 Sep