The Partec CyFlow Counter could provide an option for CD4+ T-cell monitoring in the context of scaling-up antiretroviral treatment at the district level in Malawi.
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières-Luxembourg, Thyolo District, Malawi.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study was conducted in rural Malawi to verify (a) whether the Partec CyFlow Counter((R)) for CD4+ T-cell lymphocyte counting in HIV-positive individuals could be introduced into a district hospital laboratory and (b) whether it would produce CD4 counts of acceptable quality. CD4+ cell counting was performed using the Partec CyFlow Counter and the results were compared with a reference method (FACsCount). A total of 311 blood samples were analysed and the correlation coefficient for the CyFlow Counter was 0.92 (95% CI 0.89-0.95). Mean CD4 counts using the Partec and the reference methods were 308.2 cells/microl and 316.9 cells/microl, respectively. The mean difference in CD4 count values was -8.68 cells/microl (95% CI -18.8 to 1.4). Mean intra-run variation was -6.84 cells/microl (95% CI -12.9 to 0.79). In the district laboratory setting, the instrument could accommodate up to 75 blood samples per technician per day. After being trained, local laboratory staff found the CyFlow Counter procedures simple to run and the instrument easy to manipulate. The Partec CyFlow Counter produces sufficiently reliable results and the instrument appears robust under field conditions. It could provide a new option for introducing routine CD4+ cell monitoring at the district level in the context of scaling-up antiretroviral therapy in Malawi.
- Using BD Vacutainer CD4 Stabilization Tubes for Absolute Cluster of Differentiation Type 4 Cell Count Measurement on BD FacsCount and Partec Cyflow Cytometers: A Method Comparison Study from Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Vogt F, Van den Bergh R, Bernasconi A, Moyo B, Havazvidi L, Bastard M, Flevaud L, Taziwa F, Makondo E, Mtapuri-Zinyowera S
- Issue date: 2015
- Affordable flow cytometry for enumeration of absolute CD4+ T-lymphocytes to identify subtype C HIV-1 infected adults requiring antiretroviral therapy (ART) and monitoring response to ART in a resource-limited setting.
- Authors: Zijenah LS, Kadzirange G, Madzime S, Borok M, Mudiwa C, Tobaiwa O, Mucheche M, Rusakaniko S, Katzenstein DA
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 14
- New BD FACSCount CD4 reagent system for simultaneous enumeration of percent and absolute CD4 T-lymphocytes in HIV-1-infected pediatric patients.
- Authors: Pattanapanyasat K, Sukapirom K, Kowawisatsut L, Thepthai C
- Issue date: 2008
- Evaluation of a new single-parameter volumetric flow cytometer (CyFlow(green)) for enumeration of absolute CD4+ T lymphocytes in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected Thai patients.
- Authors: Pattanapanyasat K, Lerdwana S, Noulsri E, Chaowanachan T, Wasinrapee P, Sakulploy N, Pobkeeree V, Suksripanich O, Thanprasertsuk S, Spira TJ, Tappero JW, Levine WC
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Laboratory and field evaluation of the Partec CyFlow miniPOC for absolute and relative CD4 T-cell enumeration.
- Authors: Wade D, Diaw PA, Daneau G, Diallo AA, Mboup S, Dieye TN, Kestens L
- Issue date: 2015