Passive Versus Active Tuberculosis Case Finding and Isoniazid Preventive Therapy Among Household Contacts in a Rural District of Malawi.
AffiliationOperational Research (HIV/TB), Medical Department, Médecins sans Frontières-Brussels Operational Centre, Brussels, Belgium. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSETTING: Thyolo district, rural Malawi. OBJECTIVES: To compare passive with active case finding among household contacts of smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) patients for 1) TB case detection and 2) the proportion of child contacts aged under 6 years who are placed on isoniazid (INH) preventive therapy. DESIGN: Cross-sectional study. METHODS: Passive and active case finding was conducted among household contacts, and the uptake of INH preventive therapy in children was assessed. RESULTS: There were 189 index TB cases and 985 household contacts. Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevalence among index cases was 69%. Prevalence of TB by passive case finding among 524 household contacts was 0.19% (191/100000), which was significantly lower than with active finding among 461 contacts (1.74%, 1735/100000, P = 0.01). Of 126 children in the passive cohort, 22 (17%) received INH, while in the active cohort 25 (22%) of 113 children received the drug. Transport costs associated with chest X-ray (CXR) screening were the major reason for low INH uptake. CONCLUSIONS: Where the majority of TB patients are HIV-positive, active case finding among household contacts yields nine times more TB cases and is an opportunity for reducing TB morbidity and mortality. The need for a CXR is an obstacle to the uptake of INH prophylaxis.
- An evaluation of 'Ribolola': a household tuberculosis contact tracing programme in North West Province, South Africa.
- Authors: Thind D, Charalambous S, Tongman A, Churchyard G, Grant AD
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Tuberculosis contact screening and isoniazid preventive therapy in a South Indian district: operational issues for programmatic consideration.
- Authors: Pothukuchi M, Nagaraja SB, Kelamane S, Satyanarayana S, Shashidhar, Babu S, Dewan P, Wares F
- Issue date: 2011
- Contact evaluation and isoniazid preventive therapy among close and household contacts of tuberculosis patients in Lima, Peru: an analysis of routine data.
- Authors: Otero L, Battaglioli T, Ríos J, De la Torre Z, Trocones N, Ordoñez C, Seas C, Van der Stuyft P
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Bacillus Calmette-Guérin and isoniazid preventive therapy protect contacts of patients with tuberculosis.
- Authors: Zelner JL, Murray MB, Becerra MC, Galea J, Lecca L, Calderon R, Yataco R, Contreras C, Zhang Z, Grenfell BT, Cohen T
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 1
- Challenges to delivery of isoniazid preventive therapy in a cohort of children exposed to tuberculosis in Timor-Leste.
- Authors: Hall C, Sukijthamapan P, dos Santos R, Nourse C, Murphy D, Gibbons M, Francis JR
- Issue date: 2015 Jun