A randomized open study to assess the efficacy and tolerability of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Cambodia.
Van Herp, M
Ashley, E A
Van Damme, W
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: To compare the efficacy and tolerability of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine (DHA-PQP) with that of a 3-day regimen of mefloquine and artesunate (MAS3) for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Cambodia. METHOD: Randomized open-label non-inferiority study over 64 days. RESULTS: Four hundred and sixty-four patients were included in the study. The polymerase chain reaction genotyping-adjusted cure rates on day 63 were 97.5% (95% confidence interval, CI, 93.8-99.3) for DHA-PQP and 97.5% (95% CI, 93.8-99.3) for MAS3, P = 1. There were no serious adverse events, but significantly more episodes of vomiting (P = 0.03), dizziness (P = 0.002), palpitations (P = 0.04), and sleep disorders (P = 0.03) reported in the MAS3 treatment group, consistent with the side-effect profile of mefloquine. CONCLUSIONS: DHA-PQP was as efficacious as MAS3, but much better tolerated, making it more appropriate for use in a routine programme setting. This highly efficacious, safe and more affordable fixed-dose combination could become the treatment of choice for Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Cambodia.
- Randomized, controlled dose-optimization studies of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for the treatment of uncomplicated multidrug-resistant falciparum malaria in Thailand.
- Authors: Ashley EA, Krudsood S, Phaiphun L, Srivilairit S, McGready R, Leowattana W, Hutagalung R, Wilairatana P, Brockman A, Looareesuwan S, Nosten F, White NJ
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 15
- An open-label, randomised study of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine versus artesunate-mefloquine for falciparum malaria in Asia.
- Authors: Valecha N, Phyo AP, Mayxay M, Newton PN, Krudsood S, Keomany S, Khanthavong M, Pongvongsa T, Ruangveerayuth R, Uthaisil C, Ubben D, Duparc S, Bacchieri A, Corsi M, Rao BH, Bhattacharya PC, Dubhashi N, Ghosh SK, Dev V, Kumar A, Pukrittayakamee S
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 30
- Efficacy and effectiveness of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine versus artesunate-mefloquine in falciparum malaria: an open-label randomised comparison.
- Authors: Smithuis F, Kyaw MK, Phe O, Aye KZ, Htet L, Barends M, Lindegardh N, Singtoroj T, Ashley E, Lwin S, Stepniewska K, White NJ
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 24
- Triple artemisinin-based combination therapies versus artemisinin-based combination therapies for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: a multicentre, open-label, randomised clinical trial.
- Authors: van der Pluijm RW, Tripura R, Hoglund RM, Pyae Phyo A, Lek D, Ul Islam A, Anvikar AR, Satpathi P, Satpathi S, Behera PK, Tripura A, Baidya S, Onyamboko M, Chau NH, Sovann Y, Suon S, Sreng S, Mao S, Oun S, Yen S, Amaratunga C, Chutasmit K, Saelow C, Runcharern R, Kaewmok W, Hoa NT, Thanh NV, Hanboonkunupakarn B, Callery JJ, Mohanty AK, Heaton J, Thant M, Gantait K, Ghosh T, Amato R, Pearson RD, Jacob CG, Gonçalves S, Mukaka M, Waithira N, Woodrow CJ, Grobusch MP, van Vugt M, Fairhurst RM, Cheah PY, Peto TJ, von Seidlein L, Dhorda M, Maude RJ, Winterberg M, Thuy-Nhien NT, Kwiatkowski DP, Imwong M, Jittamala P, Lin K, Hlaing TM, Chotivanich K, Huy R, Fanello C, Ashley E, Mayxay M, Newton PN, Hien TT, Valecha N, Smithuis F, Pukrittayakamee S, Faiz A, Miotto O, Tarning J, Day NPJ, White NJ, Dondorp AM, Tracking Resistance to Artemisinin Collaboration.
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 25
- Dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for treating uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
- Authors: Zani B, Gathu M, Donegan S, Olliaro PL, Sinclair D
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 20