The Prevalence of Mental Health Problems in Rwandan and Burundese Refugee Camps
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalActa Psychiatrica Scandinavica
AbstractOBJECTIVE: We examined the prevalence of mental health problems in refugees living in camps that emerged in Tanzania during the Rwanda crisis that started in 1994. METHOD: Using the 28-item version of the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ-28), we examined two samples: a random sample (n = 854) and a sample of clients of a psychosocial support programme in these camps (n = 23). Sensitivity, specificity and positive- and negative predictive values were estimated for several cut-off scores of the GHQ-28. RESULTS: The prevalence of serious mental health problems was estimated at 50% (SE 12%). When using the GHQ-28 as a screener, a cut-off score of 14 is recommended. CONCLUSION: Given the high prevalence of mental health problems, psychosocial programmes for large refugee populations should aim at strengthening community structures and supporting groups instead of focusing at individuals. The screening capacity of the GHQ-28 could be used to identify mentally vulnerable groups.
- Improving screening for mental disorders in the primary care setting by combining the GHQ-12 and SCL-90-R subscales.
- Authors: Schmitz N, Kruse J, Tress W
- Issue date: 2001 Mar-Apr
- Measuring the mental health status of the Norwegian population: a comparison of the instruments SCL-25, SCL-10, SCL-5 and MHI-5 (SF-36).
- Authors: Strand BH, Dalgard OS, Tambs K, Rognerud M
- Issue date: 2003
- Morbidity and mortality surveillance in Rwandan refugees--Burundi and Zaire, 1994.
- Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 9
- The validity of general health questionnaires, GHQ-12 and GHQ-28, in mental health studies of working people.
- Authors: Makowska Z, Merecz D, Mościcka A, Kolasa W
- Issue date: 2002
- Traumatic experiences and the mental health of Senegalese refugees.
- Authors: Tang SS, Fox SH
- Issue date: 2001 Aug