Sleeping sickness in the region of the town of Kinshasa: a retrospective analysis during the surveillance period 1996-2000.
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières, Kinshasa, République Démocratique du Congo. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the Democratic Republic of Congo, the re-emergence of sleeping sickness is no longer limited to rural areas. Over the course of the past decade, more and more cases have been reported from urban centres such as Kinshasa, Mbuji-mayi, Matadi and Boma. This paper presents a retrospective analysis on the region of Kinshasa over the period 1996-2000, using epidemiological surveillance, individual case files and available entomological data. There are 22 health districts in total; they were classified as urban when the population exceeded 5000 per square kilometre. The Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) control programme reported 2451 parasitologically confirmed new cases between 1996 and 2000, in the entire region of Kinshasa. Affected people (66%) were aged 15-49 years. Cases occurred in every health district, and 956 (39%) occurred in urban residents. Glossina captures in 1999 established the presence of Trypanosoma spp. Local HAT transmission is plausible but not proven. The high number of urban cases necessitates development of control strategies adapted to cities.
- Human African trypanosomiasis amongst urban residents in Kinshasa: a case-control study.
- Authors: Robays J, Ebeja Kadima A, Lutumba P, Miaka mia Bilenge C, Kande Betu Ku Mesu V, De Deken R, Makabuza J, Deguerry M, Van der Stuyft P, Boelaert M
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- [Re-emergence of human African trypanosomiasis in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)].
- Authors: Tshimungu K, Okenge LN, Mukeba JN, de Mol P
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- [Epidemiological, clinical and sociodemographic characteristics of human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) in and around Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo].
- Authors: Tshimungu K, Okenge LN, Mukeba JN, Kande VB, De Mol P
- Issue date: 2009 Apr-Jun
- Trypanosomiasis in Kinshasa: distribution of the vector, Glossina fuscipes quanzensis, and risk of transmission in the peri-urban area.
- Authors: De Deken R, Sumbu J, Mpiana S, Mansinsa P, Wat'senga F, Lutumba P, Boelaert M, Van den Bossche P
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Knowledge, behaviours, practices and beliefs regarding Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) among inhabitants of Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of Congo).
- Authors: Tshimungu K, Kalambayi BB, Kiyombo M, Okenge LN, Mol PD
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Sep