Successful Miltefosine Treatment of Post-Kala-Azar Dermal Leishmaniasis Occurring During Antiretroviral Therapy.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières - Netherlands, Plantage Middenlaan 14, P.O. Box 10014, 1001 EA Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe first two patients to be treated with miltefosine for post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL) are reported. One was a 26-year-old Ethiopian man who had been treated with sodium stibogluconate, for relapsing visceral leishmaniasis (VL), four times between August 2002 and March 2004. In January 2004 this patient was found to be seropositive for HIV and began antiretroviral treatment with stavudine, lamivudine and nevirapine. Five months later he developed clinical PKDL, with extensive cutaneous, conjunctival and oral mucosal involvement. The second patient was a 42-year-old Ethiopian man who was treated for relapsing VL in November 2003. He too was subsequently found to be seropositive for HIV and was treated with stavudine, lamivudine and nevirapine from May 2004. He developed a nodular rash of PKDL over his face and upper body 2 weeks after starting the antiretroviral therapy. Treatment of both patients with oral miltefosine, at 100 mg/day for 28 days, led to the complete regression of their PKDL lesions. When checked 3-6 months after the end of the miltesofine treatment, neither patient showed any signs of VL, PKDL or other HIV-associated disease.
PublisherPublished by: Maney Publishing
- Successful treatment of post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL) in a HIV infected patient with multiple relapsing leishmaniasis from Western Europe.
- Authors: Rihl M, Stoll M, Ulbricht K, Bange FC, Schmidt RE
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Cure of antimony-unresponsive Indian post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis with oral miltefosine.
- Authors: Sundar S, Kumar K, Chakravarty J, Agrawal D, Agrawal S, Chhabra A, Singh V
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Short report: Development of post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL) in miltefosine-treated visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Das VN, Pandey K, Verma N, Lal CS, Bimal S, Topno RK, Singh D, Siddiqui NA, Verma RB, Das P
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Miltefosine as an effective choice in the treatment of post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Ramesh V, Katara GK, Verma S, Salotra P
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Efficacy and safety of miltefosine in treatment of post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Sundar S, Singh A, Chakravarty J, Rai M
- Issue date: 2015