A randomized trial comparing the efficacy of four treatment regimens for uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Assam state, India.
AffiliationMedecins sans Frontieres-Holland, India Section, R.G. Baruah Road, Guwahati, Assam 781024, India. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA four-arm drug sensitivity study compared chloroquine, sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP), mefloquine and mefloquine-artesunate in Sonitpur and Karbi Anglong districts in Assam state, India. Two criteria were used to ascertain outcome: success of clinical treatment and parasitologic cure. In Sonitpur, at 14 days, there were 36/56 early and late treatment failures plus late parasitologic failures to chloroquine and 16/56 for SP. In Karbi Anglong, combined treatment failure at 14 days was 16/56 to chloroquine and 8/60 to SP. Mefloquine and mefloquine-artesunate demonstrated 93.9% and 93.6% sustained responses respectively at 42 days. High failure rates to both chloroquine and SP preclude the use of these drugs as first-line treatment for uncomplicated falciparum malaria in this region. A mefloquine-artesunate combination presents an effective alternative utilizing the currently recommended higher dose of mefloquine.
- Comparison of chloroquine, sulfadoxine/pyrimethamine, mefloquine and mefloquine-artesunate for the treatment of falciparum malaria in Kachin State, North Myanmar.
- Authors: Smithuis F, Shahmanesh M, Kyaw MK, Savran O, Lwin S, White NJ
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Randomized comparison of chloroquine plus sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine versus artesunate plus mefloquine versus artemether-lumefantrine in the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in the Lao People's Democratic Republic.
- Authors: Mayxay M, Khanthavong M, Lindegårdh N, Keola S, Barends M, Pongvongsa T, Yapom R, Annerberg A, Phompida S, Phetsouvanh R, White NJ, Newton PN
- Issue date: 2004 Oct 15
- Open randomized study of artesunate-amodiaquine vs. chloroquine-pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Nigerian children.
- Authors: Sowunmi A, Fehintola FA, Adedeji AA, Gbotosho GO, Tambo E, Fateye BA, Happi TC, Oduola AM
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Response of falciparum malaria to different antimalarials in Myanmar.
- Authors: Ejov MN, Tun T, Aung S, Sein K
- Issue date: 1999
- Efficacy of combination therapy with artesunate plus amodiaquine compared to monotherapy with chloroquine, amodiaquine or sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine for treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum in Afghanistan.
- Authors: Durrani N, Leslie T, Rahim S, Graham K, Ahmad F, Rowland M
- Issue date: 2005 Jun