Short Report: Association Between Chloroquine and Amodiaquine Resistance and Allelic Variation in the Plasmodium Falciparum Multiple Drug Resistance 1 Gene and the Chloroquine Resistance Transporter Gene in Isolates from the Upper Nile in Southern Sudan.
AffiliationKenya Medical Research Institute, Wellcome Trust Collaborative Program, Médecins sans Frontières-Holland, South Sudan Section, Nairobi, Kenya.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmodiaquine, a 4-aminoquinoline compound, is being considered as an alternative to chloroquine and pyrimethamine/sulfadoxine where resistance in Plasmodium falciparum to both drugs has been selected. Although amodiaquine is more potent than chloroquine, its effectiveness is reduced in areas where chloroquine resistance is high. We report an association of the P. falciparum chloroquine resistance transporter (pfcrt) gene and the P. falciparum multiple drug resistance 1 (pfmdr1) gene, two chloroquine resistance markers, with chloroquine and amodiaquine efficacy in vivo in southern Sudan. The data show that the allele of the pfcrt gene with a lysine to threonine change at codon 76 is strongly associated with both chloroquine and amodiaquine resistance. No such association was observed with the pfmdr1 gene.
- High-level chloroquine resistance in Sudanese isolates of Plasmodium falciparum is associated with mutations in the chloroquine resistance transporter gene pfcrt and the multidrug resistance Gene pfmdr1.
- Authors: Babiker HA, Pringle SJ, Abdel-Muhsin A, Mackinnon M, Hunt P, Walliker D
- Issue date: 2001 May 15
- Geographic patterns of Plasmodium falciparum drug resistance distinguished by differential responses to amodiaquine and chloroquine.
- Authors: Sá JM, Twu O, Hayton K, Reyes S, Fay MP, Ringwald P, Wellems TE
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 10
- Analysis of genetic diversity in the chloroquine-resistant gene Pfcrt in field Plasmodium falciparum isolates from five regions of the southern Cameroon.
- Authors: Ngassa Mbenda HG, Das A
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Discordant patterns of genetic variation at two chloroquine resistance loci in worldwide populations of the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum.
- Authors: Mehlotra RK, Mattera G, Bockarie MJ, Maguire JD, Baird JK, Sharma YD, Alifrangis M, Dorsey G, Rosenthal PJ, Fryauff DJ, Kazura JW, Stoneking M, Zimmerman PA
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Role of pfmdr1 mutations on chloroquine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum isolates with pfcrt K76T from Papua New Guinea.
- Authors: Mita T, Kaneko A, Hombhanje F, Hwaihwanje I, Takahashi N, Osawa H, Tsukahara T, Masta A, Lum JK, Kobayakawa T, Ishizaki T, Björkman A
- Issue date: 2006 May