A Survey on Vaccine Efficacy in the City of Bongor (Chad) and its Operational Consequences for the Vaccination Program
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières, Bruxelles, Belgique.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA measles epidemic occurred in the city of Bongor, Chad, from 22 September 1993 to 26 June 1994. A total of 792 patients were hospitalized, with a case fatality rate of 5.2%. After the epidemic, the district management team evaluated the expanded programme on immunization (EPI). Through a cluster survey the attack rate was estimated to be 29.1% (95% confidence interval (CI) = 20.4-37.8%) for the age group 12-59 months (n = 206). For this same age group, the measles immunization coverage was estimated to be 44.2% (95% CI = 34.6-53.8%) and the vaccine efficacy 9.5% (95% CI = 0-41.5%). Several flaws in the logistic handling of the vaccines and especially in the cold chain were identified. These results indicated a serious management problem in the EPI, which the district team then immediately started to rectify. The method used to estimate the immunization coverage and efficacy in the study is rapid and low cost. Also, it is feasible at the district level and permits identification of management problems in the EPI.
PublisherPublished by WHO
- Evaluation of a measles vaccine efficacy during a measles outbreak in Mbare, City of Harare Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Mahomva AI, Moyo IM, Mbengeranwa LO
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Measles epidemiology and outbreak response immunization in a rural community in Peru.
- Authors: Sniadack DH, Moscoso B, Aguilar R, Heath J, Bellini W, Chiu MC
- Issue date: 1999
- Rehabilitation of the expanded programme on immunization in Sudan following a poliomyelitis outbreak.
- Authors: ElZein HA, Birmingham ME, Karrar ZA, Elhassan AA, Omer A
- Issue date: 1998
- A low-cost, community-based measles outbreak investigation with follow-up action.
- Authors: Weeks RM, Barenzi JF, Wayira JR
- Issue date: 1992
- Evaluation of immunization coverage by lot quality assurance sampling compared with 30-cluster sampling in a primary health centre in India.
- Authors: Singh J, Jain DC, Sharma RS, Verghese T
- Issue date: 1996