Utility of Lymph Node Aspiration in the Diagnosis of Visceral Leishmaniasis in Sudan.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe evaluated lymph node aspiration (LNA) as a simple diagnostic procedure for visceral leishmaniasis (VL). Lymph node aspiration was compared with the direct agglutination test (DAT) using a diagnostic titer > or = 1:6,400 in 7,880 suspected VL patients in eastern Sudan. Compared with DAT, LNA had a sensitivity of 65.1% (95% confidence interval = 63.5-66.6%). Parasite density in LNA correlated strongly with DAT titers (P < 0.0001), and low parasite density accounted for 78.1% of positive LNA results with DAT titers < 1:6,400 (n = 782). Risk factors predictive of a positive LNA result were an age of 1-29 years, male sex, a hemoglobin level < 10.0 g/dL, a DAT titer > or = 1:800, and a location with a higher prevalence of VL. Lymph node and splenic aspirations were similarly accurate as tests of cure after treatment of 50 VL patients in southern Sudan. Pre-treatment LNA results were negative in 20 cases of severe post kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis.
- Evaluation of a glycerol-preserved antigen in the direct agglutination test for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis at rural level in eastern Sudan.
- Authors: el Mutasim M, Mansour D, Abass EM, Hassan WM, el Harith A
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Comparison of an rK39 dipstick rapid test with direct agglutination test and splenic aspiration for the diagnosis of kala-azar in Sudan.
- Authors: Veeken H, Ritmeijer K, Seaman J, Davidson R
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Leishmaniasis in Sudan. Visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Zijlstra EE, el-Hassan AM
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Field evaluation of rK39 test and direct agglutination test for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in a population with high prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus in Ethiopia.
- Authors: ter Horst R, Tefera T, Assefa G, Ebrahim AZ, Davidson RN, Ritmeijer K
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Antimony-resistant Leishmania donovaniin eastern Sudan: incidence and in vitro correlation.
- Authors: Abdo MG, Elamin WM, Khalil EA, Mukhtar MM
- Issue date: 2003 Jul