Utility of Lymph Node Aspiration in the Diagnosis of Visceral Leishmaniasis in Sudan.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe evaluated lymph node aspiration (LNA) as a simple diagnostic procedure for visceral leishmaniasis (VL). Lymph node aspiration was compared with the direct agglutination test (DAT) using a diagnostic titer > or = 1:6,400 in 7,880 suspected VL patients in eastern Sudan. Compared with DAT, LNA had a sensitivity of 65.1% (95% confidence interval = 63.5-66.6%). Parasite density in LNA correlated strongly with DAT titers (P < 0.0001), and low parasite density accounted for 78.1% of positive LNA results with DAT titers < 1:6,400 (n = 782). Risk factors predictive of a positive LNA result were an age of 1-29 years, male sex, a hemoglobin level < 10.0 g/dL, a DAT titer > or = 1:800, and a location with a higher prevalence of VL. Lymph node and splenic aspirations were similarly accurate as tests of cure after treatment of 50 VL patients in southern Sudan. Pre-treatment LNA results were negative in 20 cases of severe post kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis.
- Leishmaniasis in Sudan. Visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Zijlstra EE, el-Hassan AM
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Direct agglutination test for diagnosis and sero-epidemiological survey of kala-azar in the Sudan.
- Authors: Zijlstra EE, Ali MS, el-Hassan AM, el-Toum IA, Satti M, Ghalib HW, Kager PA
- Issue date: 1991 Jul-Aug
- Evaluation of a glycerol-preserved antigen in the direct agglutination test for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis at rural level in eastern Sudan.
- Authors: el Mutasim M, Mansour D, Abass EM, Hassan WM, el Harith A
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis in the Sudan: clinical presentation and differential diagnosis.
- Authors: Zijlstra EE, Khalil EA, Kager PA, El-Hassan AM
- Issue date: 2000 Jul
- A killing disease epidemic among displaced Sudanese population identified as visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: de Beer P, el Harith A, Deng LL, Semiao-Santos SJ, Chantal B, van Grootheest M
- Issue date: 1991 Mar