Validity, reliability and ease of use in the field of five rapid tests for the diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Uganda.
AffiliationEpicentre, 4 rue Saint Sabin, 75011 Paris, France. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study was conducted to measure the overall performance of several rapid diagnostic tests for Plasmodium falciparum infection, in order to select the most appropriate test to be used in the field. A total of 742 patients attending the out-patient department of Mbarara Hospital with a clinical suspicion of malaria were included in the study. For each patient, a thick/thin film and 5 rapid tests based on the detection of histidine-rich protein II (HRP-II) (Paracheck Pf dipstick and device, ParaHIT f, Malaria Rapid and BIO P.F.) were performed. Outcomes were validity, inter-reader reliability and 'ease of use in the field', measured by both the general characteristics of the test and by the opinion of the readers. About half (57%) of the patients were positive for P. falciparum. The Paracheck Pf (dipstick and device) was considered as the most appropriate for the use in the field, being sensitive (97%), moderately specific (88%), reliable (kappa coefficient = 0.97), easy to use and cheap (about US$ 0.5/test). The ParaHIT f represented a good alternative.
- Evaluation of the performance of CareStart Malaria Pf/Pv Combo and Paracheck Pf tests for the diagnosis of malaria in Wondo Genet, southern Ethiopia.
- Authors: Sharew B, Legesse M, Animut A, Jima D, Medhin G, Erko B
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Comparison of the ParaSight-F test and the ICT Malaria Pf test with the polymerase chain reaction for the diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in travellers.
- Authors: Pieroni P, Mills CD, Ohrt C, Harrington MA, Kain KC
- Issue date: 1998 Mar-Apr
- Assessment of two malaria rapid diagnostic tests in children under five years of age, with follow-up of false-positive pLDH test results, in a hyperendemic falciparum malaria area, Sierra Leone.
- Authors: Gerstl S, Dunkley S, Mukhtar A, De Smet M, Baker S, Maikere J
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 21
- Test characteristics of the SD FK80 Plasmodium falciparum/Plasmodium vivax malaria rapid diagnostic test in a non-endemic setting.
- Authors: Gillet P, van Dijk DP, Bottieau E, Cnops L, Van Esbroeck M, Jacobs J
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 22
- Are rapid diagnostic tests more accurate in diagnosis of plasmodium falciparum malaria compared to microscopy at rural health centres?
- Authors: Batwala V, Magnussen P, Nuwaha F
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 2