WHO Clinical Staging of HIV Infection and Disease, Tuberculosis and Eligibility for Antiretroviral Treatment: Relationship to CD4 Lymphocyte Counts.
Salaniponi, F M L
Harries, A D
AffiliationMédecins sans Frontières-Luxembourg, Thyolo, Malawi.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSETTING: Thyolo district, Malawi. OBJECTIVES: To determine in HIV-positive individuals aged over 13 years CD4 lymphocyte counts in patients classified as WHO Clinical Stage III and IV and patients with active and previous tuberculosis (TB). DESIGN: Cross-sectional study. METHODS: CD4 lymphocyte counts were determined in all consecutive HIV-positive individuals presenting to the antiretroviral clinic in WHO Stage III and IV. RESULTS: A CD4 lymphocyte count of < or = 350 cells/microl was found in 413 (90%) of 457 individuals in WHO Stage III and IV, 96% of 77 individuals with active TB, 92% of 65 individuals with a history of pulmonary TB (PTB) in the last year, 91% of 89 individuals with a previous history of PTB beyond 1 year, 81% of 32 individuals with a previous history of extra-pulmonary TB, 93% of 107 individuals with active or past TB with another HIV-related disease and 89% of 158 individuals with active or past TB without another HIV-related disease. CONCLUSIONS: In our setting, nine of 10 HIV-positive individuals presenting in WHO Stage III and IV and with active or previous TB have CD4 counts of < or = 350 cells/microl. It would thus be reasonable, in this or similar settings where CD4 counts are unavailable for clinical management, for all such patients to be considered eligible for antiretroviral therapy.
- CD4 validation for the World Health Organization classification and clinical staging of HIV/AIDS in a developing country.
- Authors: Edathodu J, Ali B, Alrajhi AA
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Evaluation of the World Health Organization staging system for HIV infection and disease in Ethiopia: association between clinical stages and laboratory markers.
- Authors: Kassa E, Rinke de Wit TF, Hailu E, Girma M, Messele T, Mariam HG, Yohannes S, Jurriaans S, Yeneneh H, Coutinho RA, Fontanet AL
- Issue date: 1999 Feb 25
- Evaluation of two staging systems for HIV infection for use in developing countries.
- Authors: Vandenbruaene M, Colebunders R, Goeman J, Alary M, Farber CM, Kestens L, van Ham G, Van den Ende J, Van Gompel A, Van den Enden E
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Targeting CD4 testing to a clinical subgroup of patients could limit unnecessary CD4 measurements, premature antiretroviral treatment and costs in Thyolo District, Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Teck R, Ascurra O, Humblet P, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Characteristics of HIV-infected tuberculosis patients in Thailand.
- Authors: Mankatittham W, Likanonsakul S, Thawornwan U, Kongsanan P, Kittikraisak W, Burapat C, Akksilp S, Sattayawuthipong W, Srinak C, Nateniyom S, Tasaneeyapan T, Varma JK
- Issue date: 2009 Jan