Risk Factors for High Early Mortality in Patients on Antiretroviral Treatment in a Rural District of Malawi.
AffiliationMedecins sans Frontieres, Operational Research, Brussels Operational Center, Belgium. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
JournalAIDS (London, England)
AbstractOBJECTIVES: Among adults started on antiretroviral treatment (ART) in a rural district hospital (a) to determine the cumulative proportion of deaths that occur within 3 and 6 months of starting ART, and (b) to identify risk factors that may be associated with such mortality. DESIGN AND SETTING: A cross-sectional analytical study set in Thyolo district, Malawi. METHODS: Over a 2-year period (April 2003 to April 2005) mortality within the first 3 and 6 months of starting ART was determined and risk factors were examined. RESULTS: A total of 1507 individuals (517 men and 990 women), whose median age was 35 years were included in the study. There were a total of 190 (12.6%) deaths on ART of which 116 (61%) occurred within the first 3 months (very early mortality) and 150 (79%) during the first 6 months of initiating ART. Significant risk factors associated with such mortality included WHO stage IV disease, a baseline CD4 cell count under 50 cells/mul and increasing grades of malnutrition. A linear trend in mortality was observed with increasing grades of malnutrition (chi for trend = 96.1, P
- Very early mortality in patients starting antiretroviral treatment at primary health centres in rural Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Harries K, Moses M, Manzi M, Line A, Mwagomba B, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Targeting CD4 testing to a clinical subgroup of patients could limit unnecessary CD4 measurements, premature antiretroviral treatment and costs in Thyolo District, Malawi.
- Authors: Zachariah R, Teck R, Ascurra O, Humblet P, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Predictors of mortality in HIV-infected patients starting antiretroviral therapy in a rural hospital in Tanzania.
- Authors: Johannessen A, Naman E, Ngowi BJ, Sandvik L, Matee MI, Aglen HE, Gundersen SG, Bruun JN
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 22
- Risk factors for early mortality in children on adult fixed-dose combination antiretroviral treatment in a central hospital in Malawi.
- Authors: Bong CN, Yu JK, Chiang HC, Huang WL, Hsieh TC, Schouten EJ, Makombe SD, Kamoto K, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 20
- Interruption of combination antiretroviral therapy and risk of clinical disease progression to AIDS or death.
- Authors: Holkmann Olsen C, Mocroft A, Kirk O, Vella S, Blaxhult A, Clumeck N, Fisher M, Katlama C, Phillips AN, Lundgren JD, EuroSIDA study group.
- Issue date: 2007 Mar