Measles vaccine effectiveness in standard and early immunization strategies, Niger, 1995.
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: An Expanded Programme on Immunization was started in late 1987 in Niger, including vaccination against measles with one dose of standard titer Schwarz vaccine given to infants after 9 months of age. During epidemics an early two-dose strategy was implemented (one dose between 6 and 8 months and one dose after 9 months). From January 1, 1995, until May 7, 1995, 13 892 measles cases were reported in Niamey, Niger. METHODS: A retrospective cohort study was conducted in a crowded area of Niamey at the end of the outbreak to assess the effectiveness of measles vaccine in standard (after 9 months) and early (before 9 months) immunization strategies under field conditions. RESULTS: Highest measles incidence rates were observed among children <1 year of age. Vaccine effectiveness estimates increased with age at vaccination from 78% with a single dose administered at 6 months of age to 95% at 9 months. Vaccine effectiveness with the early two dose strategy was 93%. CONCLUSIONS: Immunization with a single dose of standard titer Schwarz vaccine before 9 months of age provided higher clinical protection than expected from seropositivity studies. The early two dose strategy is justified in contexts where measles incidence is high before 9 months of age. Our results raise the issue of lowering the recommended age for measles vaccination in developing countries.
- Measles epidemic in the urban community of Niamey: transmission patterns, vaccine efficacy and immunization strategies, Niger, 1990 to 1991.
- Authors: Malfait P, Jataou IM, Jollet MC, Margot A, De Benoist AC, Moren A
- Issue date: 1994 Jan
- Two-dose measles vaccination schedules.
- Authors: Rosenthal SR, Clements CJ
- Issue date: 1993
- Comparison of AIK-C measles vaccine in infants at 6 months with Schwarz vaccine at 9 months: a randomized controlled trial in Ghana.
- Authors: Nkrumah FK, Osei-Kwasi M, Dunyo SK, Koram KA, Afari EA
- Issue date: 1998
- Measles control in Maputo, Mozambique, using a single dose of Schwarz vaccine at age 9 months.
- Authors: Cutts FT, Monteiro O, Tabard P, Cliff J
- Issue date: 1994
- Seroconversion after measles vaccination at nine and fifteen months of age.
- Authors: Işik N, Uzel N, Gökçay G, Kiliç A, Yilmaz G, Sadikoğlu B, Diri S
- Issue date: 2003 Aug