Nifurtimox plus Eflornithine for Late-Stage Sleeping Sickness in Uganda: A Case Series.
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractBACKGROUND: We report efficacy and safety outcomes from a prospective case series of 31 late-stage T.b. gambiense sleeping sickness (Human African Trypanosomiasis, HAT) patients treated with a combination of nifurtimox and eflornithine (N+E) in Yumbe, northwest Uganda in 2002-2003, following on a previously reported terminated trial in nearby Omugo, in which 17 patients received the combination under the same conditions. METHODOLOGY/PRINCIPAL FINDINGS: Eligible sequential late-stage patients received 400 mg/Kg/day eflornithine (Ornidyl, Sanofi-Aventis) for seven days plus 15 mg/Kg/day (20 mg for children <15 years old) nifurtimox (Lampit, Bayer AG) for ten days. Efficacy (primary outcome) was monitored for 24 months post discharge. Clinical and laboratory adverse events (secondary outcome) were monitored during treatment. All 31 patients were discharged alive, but two died post-discharge of non-HAT and non-treatment causes, and one was lost to follow-up. Efficacy ranged from 90.3% to 100.0% according to analysis approach. Five patients experienced major adverse events during treatment, and neutropenia was common (9/31 patients). CONCLUSIONS/SIGNIFICANCE: Combined with the previous group of 17 trial patients, this case series yields a group of 48 patients treated with N+E, among whom no deaths judged to be treatment- or HAT-related, no treatment terminations and no relapses have been noted, a very favourable outcome in the context of late-stage disease. N+E could be the most promising combination regimen available for sleeping sickness, and deserves further evaluation.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Nifurtimox-eflornithine combination therapy for second-stage African Trypanosoma brucei gambiense trypanosomiasis: a multicentre, randomised, phase III, non-inferiority trial.
- Authors: Priotto G, Kasparian S, Mutombo W, Ngouama D, Ghorashian S, Arnold U, Ghabri S, Baudin E, Buard V, Kazadi-Kyanza S, Ilunga M, Mutangala W, Pohlig G, Schmid C, Karunakara U, Torreele E, Kande V
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 4
- Nifurtimox-eflornithine combination therapy for second-stage Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sickness: a randomized clinical trial in Congo.
- Authors: Priotto G, Kasparian S, Ngouama D, Ghorashian S, Arnold U, Ghabri S, Karunakara U
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 1
- In-hospital safety in field conditions of nifurtimox eflornithine combination therapy (NECT) for T. b. gambiense sleeping sickness.
- Authors: Schmid C, Kuemmerle A, Blum J, Ghabri S, Kande V, Mutombo W, Ilunga M, Lumpungu I, Mutanda S, Nganzobo P, Tete D, Mubwa N, Kisala M, Blesson S, Mordt OV
- Issue date: 2012
- A multicentre, randomised, non-inferiority clinical trial comparing a nifurtimox-eflornithine combination to standard eflornithine monotherapy for late stage Trypanosoma brucei gambiense human African trypanosomiasis in Uganda.
- Authors: Kansiime F, Adibaku S, Wamboga C, Idi F, Kato CD, Yamuah L, Vaillant M, Kioy D, Olliaro P, Matovu E
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 22
- Oral fexinidazole for late-stage African Trypanosoma brucei gambiense trypanosomiasis: a pivotal multicentre, randomised, non-inferiority trial.
- Authors: Mesu VKBK, Kalonji WM, Bardonneau C, Mordt OV, Blesson S, Simon F, Delhomme S, Bernhard S, Kuziena W, Lubaki JF, Vuvu SL, Ngima PN, Mbembo HM, Ilunga M, Bonama AK, Heradi JA, Solomo JLL, Mandula G, Badibabi LK, Dama FR, Lukula PK, Tete DN, Lumbala C, Scherrer B, Strub-Wourgaft N, Tarral A
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 13