In vitro susceptibility of 120 strains of Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolated in Kyrghyzstan.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalSexually Transmitted Diseases
AbstractBACKGROUND: The World Health Organization has established a worldwide program for gonococcal antimicrobial surveillance, but so far no data on gonococcal susceptibility in Central Asia are available. GOAL: The need for biological data on the susceptibility of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Kyrghyzstan, to enable adaptation of the national treatment protocol for gonococcal infections, led Médecins Sans Frontières and Epicentre to conduct a survey in collaboration with the Alfred Fournier Institute in Paris and the health authorities in Bishkek. STUDY DESIGN: In vitro susceptibility of N gonorrhoeae strains was determined with use of the reference agar-plate dilution technique. RESULTS: Results for 11 antibiotics tested on 120 strains of gonococci showed a low proportion (11.7%) of penicillinase-producing N gonorrhoeae and high proportions of intermediate or resistant strains to the majority of the antibiotics tested, including fluoroquinolones (>or=25% of strains resistant). All the strains were susceptible to spectinomycin, and only two strains had decreased susceptibility to cefixime. CONCLUSION: The therapeutic choices available in Kyrghyzstan appear to be limited to cephalosporins and spectinomycin.
- Antimicrobial susceptibilities of strains of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Bangkok, Thailand: 1994-1995.
- Authors: Knapp JS, Wongba C, Limpakarnjanarat K, Young NL, Parekh MC, Neal SW, Buatiang A, Chitwarakorn A, Mastro TD
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- High percentages of resistance to tetracycline and penicillin and reduced susceptibility to azithromycin characterize the majority of strain types of Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates in Cuba, 1995-1998.
- Authors: Sosa J, Ramirez-Arcos S, Ruben M, Li H, Llanes R, Llop A, Dillon JA
- Issue date: 2003 May
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Cuba (1995-1999): implications for treatment of gonorrhea.
- Authors: Llanes R, Sosa J, Guzmán D, Llop A, Valdés EA, Martínez I, Palma S, Lantero MI
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Susceptibility pattern of Neisseria gonorrhoeae to antimicrobial agents in Dar es Salaam.
- Authors: Mbwana J, Mhalu F, Mwakagile D, Masesa J, Moshiro C, Sandstrom E
- Issue date: 1999 Jun
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Neisseria gonorrhoeae strains isolated in 2004-2006 in Bangui, Central African Republic; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Antananarivo, Madagascar; and Ho Chi Minh Ville and Nha Trang, Vietnam.
- Authors: Cao V, Ratsima E, Van Tri D, Bercion R, Fonkoua MC, Richard V, Talarmin A
- Issue date: 2008 Nov