High sensitivity and specificity of the Pastorex latex agglutination test for Neisseria meningitidis serogroup A during a clinical trial in Niger.
AffiliationEpicentre, 8 rue St Sabin, 75011 Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is a great need for a rapid diagnostic test to guide vaccine choice during outbreaks of meningococcal meningitis in resource-poor countries. During a randomised clinical trial conducted during an epidemic of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup A in Niger in 2003, the sensitivity and specificity of the Pastorex latex agglutination test for this serogroup under optimal field conditions were assessed, using culture and/or PCR as the gold standard. Results from 484 samples showed a sensitivity of 88% (95% CI 85-91%) and a specificity of 93% (95% CI 90-95%). Pastorex could be a good alternative to current methods, as it can be performed in a local laboratory with rapid results and is highly specific. Sensitivity can be improved with prior microscopy where feasible. A study specifically to evaluate the Pastorex test under epidemic conditions, using laboratories with limited resources, is recommended.
- Evaluation of the Pastorex meningitis kit for the rapid identification of Neisseria meningitidis serogroups A and W135.
- Authors: Djibo S, Njanpop Lafourcade BM, Boisier P, Moussa A, Kobo G, Sidikou F, Hien A, Bieboure G, Aguilera JF, Parent du Chatelet I, Gessner BD, Chanteau S
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Evaluation of Pastorex meningitis kit performance for the rapid identification of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C in Nigeria.
- Authors: Uadiale K, Bestman A, Kamau C, Caugant DA, Greig J
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Field evaluation of two rapid diagnostic tests for Neisseria meningitidis serogroup A during the 2006 outbreak in Niger.
- Authors: Rose AM, Gerstl S, Mahamane AE, Sidikou F, Djibo S, Bonte L, Caugant DA, Guerin PJ, Chanteau S
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 5
- Biological diagnosis of meningococcal meningitis in the African meningitis belt: current epidemic strategy and new perspectives.
- Authors: Chanteau S, Rose AM, Djibo S, Nato F, Boisier P
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 3
- Meningitis dipstick rapid test: evaluating diagnostic performance during an urban Neisseria meningitidis serogroup A outbreak, Burkina Faso, 2007.
- Authors: Rose AM, Mueller JE, Gerstl S, Njanpop-Lafourcade BM, Page AL, Nicolas P, Traoré RO, Caugant DA, Guerin PJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 11