Evaluation of a diagnostic algorithm for smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV-infected adults.
AffiliationMédecins Sans Frontières, Cape Town, South Africa.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalSouth African Medical Journal
AbstractOBJECTIVES: To evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of and reduction in diagnostic delay attributable to a clinical algorithm used for the diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis (SNPTB) in HIV-infected adults. DESIGN: An algorithm was designed to facilitate clinicoradiological diagnosis of pulmonary TB (PTB) in HIV-infected smear-negative adult patients. A folder review was performed on the first 58 cases referred for empirical TB treatment using this algorithm. SETTING: Nolungile HIV Clinic, Site C, Khayelitsha. SUBJECTS: Subjects included 58 HIV-infected adult patients with suspected PTB consecutively referred to the local TB clinic for outpatient TB treatment using this algorithm between 12 February 2004 and 30 April 2005. OUTCOME MEASURES: Outcome measures were response of C-reactive protein, haemoglobin, weight and symptoms to TB treatment, and TB culture result. Diagnostic delay (in days) was calculated. RESULTS: Thirty-two of the 58 patients (55%) had positive TB cultures (definite TB). Initiation of TB treatment occurred on average 19.5 days before the positive culture report. A further 21 patients (36%) demonstrated clinical improvement on empirical treatment (probable/possible TB). Two patients did not improve and subsequently died without a definitive diagnosis. Three patients defaulted treatment. CONCLUSIONS: SNPTB is more common in HIV-infected patients and leads to diagnostic delay. This algorithm allowed for earlier initiation of TB treatment in HIV-infected patients presenting with symptoms of PTB and negative smears or nonproductive cough in a high TB incidence setting.
PublisherHealth and Medical Publishing Group
- Evaluation of a diagnostic algorithm for sputum smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV-infected adults.
- Authors: Padmapriyadarsini C, Tripathy S, Sekar L, Bhavani PK, Gaikwad N, Annadurai S, Narendran G, Selvakumar N, Risbud AR, Sheta D, Rajasekaran S, Thomas A, Wares F, Swaminathan S
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 1
- Outcomes of a clinical diagnostic algorithm for management of ambulatory smear and Xpert MTB/Rif negative HIV infected patients with presumptive pulmonary TB in Uganda: a prospective study.
- Authors: Walusimbi S, Semitala F, Bwanga F, Haile M, De Costa A, Davis L, Joloba M, Hoffner S, Kamya M
- Issue date: 2016
- API TB Consensus Guidelines 2006: Management of pulmonary tuberculosis, extra-pulmonary tuberculosis and tuberculosis in special situations.
- Authors: API Consensus Expert Committee.
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Diagnosing smear-negative tuberculosis using case definitions and treatment response in HIV-infected adults.
- Authors: Wilson D, Nachega J, Morroni C, Chaisson R, Maartens G
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Performance of the 2007 WHO algorithm to diagnose smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in a HIV prevalent setting.
- Authors: Huerga H, Varaine F, Okwaro E, Bastard M, Ardizzoni E, Sitienei J, Chakaya J, Bonnet M
- Issue date: 2012