Trypanosoma Brucei Gambiense Trypanosomiasis in Terego County, Northern Uganda, 1996: A Lot Quality Assurance Sampling Survey.
AffiliationEpicentre Office in Uganda, Kampala, Uganda.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe estimated the pre-intervention prevalence of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense (Tbg) trypanosomiasis using the lot quality assurance sampling (LQAS) methods in 14 parishes of Terego County in northern Uganda. A total of 826 participants were included in the survey sample in 1996. The prevalence of laboratory confirmed Tbg trypanosomiasis adjusted for parish population sizes was 2.2% (95% confidence interval =1.1-3.2). This estimate was consistent with the 1.1% period prevalence calculated on the basis of cases identified through passive and active screening in 1996-1999. Ranking of parishes in four categories according to LQAS analysis of the 1996 survey predicted the prevalences observed during the first round of active screening in the population in 1997-1998 (P < 0.0001, by chi-square test). Overall prevalence and ranking of parishes obtained with LQAS were validated by the results of the population screening, suggesting that these survey methods may be useful in the pre-intervention phase of sleeping sickness control programs.
- Evaluation of the micro-CATT, CATT/Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, and LATEX/T b gambiense methods for serodiagnosis and surveillance of human African trypanosomiasis in West and Central Africa.
- Authors: Truc P, Lejon V, Magnus E, Jamonneau V, Nangouma A, Verloo D, Penchenier L, Büscher P
- Issue date: 2002
- [Trypanosomiasis from Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in the center of north-west Uganda. Evaluation of 5 years of control (1987-1991)].
- Authors: Paquet C, Castilla J, Mbulamberi D, Beaulieu MF, Gastellu Etchegorry MG, Moren A
- Issue date: 1995
- Application of lot quality assurance sampling for leprosy elimination monitoring--examination of some critical factors.
- Authors: Gupte MD, Murthy BN, Mahmood K, Meeralakshmi S, Nagaraju B, Prabhakaran R
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- [Human African trypanosomiasis in mangrove epidemiologic area. Presentation, diagnosis and treatment in Guinea, 2005-2007].
- Authors: Vanhecke C, Guevart E, Ezzedine K, Receveur MC, Jamonneau V, Bucheton B, Camara M, Vincendeau P, Malvy D
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- An evaluation of the reactivity of the card agglutination test for trypanosomiasis (CATT) reagent in the Fontem sleeping sickness focus, Cameroon.
- Authors: Asonganyi T, Bedifeh BA, Ade SS, Ngu JL
- Issue date: 1994 Mar